thirty-six ☆ hurting herself

DECEMBER

narrator's pov:

majority of the riverview high students sulked as they placed their luggage in the baggage compartment.

"i don't want to back to school," zach whined.

"yeah," chloe agreed, "this weekend was fun."

"it was fun? we barely got to hang out, babe," ethan joined in, slipping his arm around chloe's waist.

"can you not?" chloe whispered.

"i just want to claim what's mine," ethan remarked, glaring at zach.

"chloe is not an object, and you can't claim her," zach scoffed.

he put his final bag in the baggage compartment, and stepped onto the bus.

"ethan, can you not be like this around my friends?" chloe requested, "i'm sorry, but they don't necessarily like you."

"ouch, that hurt," ethan kidded, "their opinions aren't relevant to me."

"well, their opinions are relevant to me. they're my friends, so i care about how they feel," chloe pointed out.

ethan rolled his eyes, "okay, fine, i'll lay low around them."

"thank you," chloe acknowledged.

"oh, are we sitting together on the bus?" ethan asked.

"sorry, i promised i'd sit with zach," chloe denied, shrugging her shoulders.

"what's the deal with zach?" ethan questioned, "did you guys ever have a thing?"

"no, zach's been my best friend since we were babies," chloe explained.

"well, from what i've heard, and seen, that guy likes you," ethan mentioned.

chloe laughed, "that's a funny joke."

"no, i'm serious, that guy is into you," ethan stated, crossing his arms.

"everyone tells me that, but i won't believe it until zach might say it himself," chloe declared.

"alright, fine, ready to go on the bus?" ethan inquired.

chloe nodded her head, and the almost-couple hopped on the bus. ethan sat three rows in front of chloe and zach.

"what did he talk to you about?" zach questioned, facing the blonde.

"nothing much," chloe lied, "you know, zach, ethan can be really sweet."

zach shook his head, "i don't trust him."

"come on, zach, give him a chance," chloe suggested, "who knows, he might actually become my boyfriend soon?"

he rolled his eyes, "you're way too good for him, chloe. he doesn't deserve you."

"you're sweet, zach," chloe remarked, laying her head on his shoulder.

"i know, i'm a cutie," zach agreed.

-

the remainder of students on the trip filed into the buses, and took their seats. for the ride back, the seating arrangements switched. zach sat with chloe, waverly with jack, mackenzie with lillian, daniel paired with corbyn, and jonah and charlotte each sat in a single-seater.

"i can't believe you don't want to sit with me," corbyn whined, crossing his arms.

"hey, i need to talk to the girls. you know i'm going to tell them everything that happened last night, right?" lillian laughed.