Thirty nine.

"I can't believe you're failing math." Kelly looks at me worried.

   "I can." I laugh. "I always sucked at math." I continue while looking at Nate coming to us.

   "Tutor." he says when he gets to us. 

   "I can't afford it." I sigh shaking my head.

   "You can talk to the teacher. He can give extra credits for a student." Kelly smiles like she just solved world hunger.

   "I can try." I smile less happy.

   *

I play with my fingers staring at the door and waiting for my new tutor to come. My math teacher said that he's a senior and he's a straight A student. As long as he can teach me math I don't care about anything.

   "Hey."

   I flinch when Jake takes a seat next to me. He puts his coffee cup on the table and starts getting his books out of his backpack.

   "What are you doing?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

   "I'm your tutor." he smiles.

"What? You're the straight A's student?" I ask shocked and amused at the same time.

"In the flesh." he smiles and looks at me amused.

"Why?" I frown.

"What why?"

"Why do you want to tutor me?"

He sighs and looks away from me. He's not smiling anymore.

"I want to make up for everything." he says and I sigh this time. "I hurt you... and I'm really sorry about that. This..." he points at my math book. "This is the least I can do for being a dick." he continues with a little smile.

"And I'm just supposed to trust you?"

"I don't have any reasons to do that. But please... Let me do this."

"If you think you know math..." I roll my eyes making him laugh.

He opens his book and starts looking for a pencil while I just look at him.

"Please don't cross any line." I say and he looks at me. "You want to tutor me... that's fine. But nothing more. Ok?"

"I promise I won't cross any line." he says and I smile a little. "So... Where do we begin?"

"About fifth grade..." I sigh and he laughs. "I suck. You're going to have a lot of work with me. I can't understand anything."

"Good thing I'm here." he smiles arrogantly.

I kick his arm and roll my eyes at his commentary which makes him laugh. He looks at me and I feel a shiver down my spine.

"You said you're not crossing the line." I threaten him with my pencil.

"Ok, ok." he raises his hands defending himself.