Thirteen.

Song for this chapter: Afraid Of The Dark - EZI

I put my hand around my stomach trying to calm it down. I starving. I've been skipping a lot of meals lately, and my stomach doesn't like that. But I can't exactly complain. I've lost some weight.

I text Lucca one more time and I roll my eyes imagining him making faces at the phone, disgruntled.

"Good morning, sweetheart! How did you sleep?"

The same smile, the same worm look and the same question. Every morning. I'm already used to it.

"Good morning, Mrs Warren. I slept great. What about you?" I say and for some reason she rolls her eyes.

"Call me Mrs one more time and I'll make sure you'll eat your breakfast cold. Or you won't eat it at all." she threatens me with the spatula.

I can't take her seriously. She's too pure and kind to be intimidating. Comparing to her son...

Speaking of...

Jake passes by us without saying anything and I sigh pissed. Again. Aparently our conversation didn't change anything.

"Morning."

I almost choke on my food when I hear him speak. I pinch myself trying to make sure I'm not dreaming. Maybe my efforts and words weren't in vain.

"Good morning." Liz answers him with her biggest and happiest smile.

Jake turns around and looks at his mother and I could swear he's trying not to smile.

"Morning." I say when he looks at me.

Jake settles to just nod as an answer for us.

"I have to go. If I don't leave now I will be late for work." says Liz leaving the dish towel on the counter.

She takes her purse off the rack, gives us a smile then gets out of the house, leaving us in complete silence. I look at Jake and I bite my lips to stop myself from smiling.

   "What?" he mumbles raising an eyebrow.

   "Does Jake suddenly care?" I ask pretending to be completely shocked.

   "I said "morning" not "I love you"."

   I don't have to. You don't have a heart to love with.

I decide to repress any other commentary so we wouldn't end up fighting again. It's too early for a fight. Especially with Jake.

   I get off my chair and I take my bowl of cereals, wanting to dump the leftovers and wash the bowl. But my plan is off the table when Jake appears right in front of me. Fortunately, the bowl is still in my hands... but without the leftovers that were in it.

   "Fuck!" I mumble between my teeth passing by Jake and leaving the bowl in the sink. I take some paper towels and I turn around to clean up the mess. But it's too late. My feet already did the job. I look down and I sigh when I realize I'm standing over the milk and cereals that used to be in my bowl. "Fantastic!" I say tossing my hands in the air.

   "Karma." Jake mumbles and I look up to him. "That's what happens when you don't keep your nose out of people's business." he says with a big, arrogant smile then leaves the kitchen with an apple in his hands.

Fuck you, Jake!

   *

I stop in front of my closet and I start looking around my clothes trying to figure out what to wear. I just got out of the shower and I'm still wet and I'm freezing. I eventually pick a pair of leggings and an oversized white shirt which I stole from my dad's clothes before I left.

   I open the closet again to look for my hairdryer. I plug it in and I sit on the floor in front of my mirror, singing and dancing and drying my hair.

   My amusement is interrupted when my hairdryer suddenly stops working.

"What the hell?"

I raise and eyebrow and I follow the wire and I see it in Jake's hand. Why am I not surprised?

"Can I help you?" I ask while stretching my hand after the wire.

"Be quiet, Taylor Swift."

I open my moth shocked and I stretch my hand after the wire again, this time succeeding in taking it. I plug it back in and I start singing and dancing again.