The Jester's Folly

Art Credit: nadairead

WARNING: Some light cussing, a little bit of crying.

NOTE: I'm sorry if I didn't do this request justice, it was actually a little difficult to write since there was a lot of ideas I could've used for this chapter. I decided on this. I hope you enjoy! Much love!

The bubbly laughter bouncing off walls and through corridors was enough to make a passerby stop for a moment and smile.

(Y/N) grinned at the sound, doing a flip and making a silly face toward her audience, making the young lady before her laugh. Alice watched her happily and hopped on her toes lightly, trying to push down her overbearing excitement of her jester. (Y/N) twirled in circles around the female, making her squeal with joy.

(Y/N) had a great fondness toward Alice since the young demon reminded her of why she loved the work she does. Yes, (Y/N) was a jester directly for Lucifer, and she rarely failed to make anyone laugh.

Except for one man.

The Radio Demon, Alastor, never seemed to succumb to her jokes or childish nature, and whether she wanted to admit it or not—

It really bugged her.

Just thinking about it caused her to go in a funk, and before Alice's gentle gaze she saw (Y/N) crumble to her knees with a groan.

"(Y/N)?" Alice's voice was soft and slightly worried as she carefully stepped closer. She rubbed her porcelain arm, unsure of how to comfort the person that was suppose to bring laughter and lift spirits.
"Please...talk to me. What's wrong?" the demon tried, reaching out to grab (Y/N) by her shoulders and give it a little shake.

The jester raised her head, trying to fight the frown off her face but failing. Covering her eyes with her hands, she curled back into a ball.
"Why can't I make him laugh?" (Y/N) growled, tugging between a feeling of anger and a feeling of sadness within her brain. Luckily for the (h/c) haired demon, Alice, her audience and friend knew exactly who she was talking about.

More importantly, she knew the very reason of her woes.

"(Y/N) listen to me please." The porcelain lady tried, hoping at least the female would look up toward her. She didn't, but listened as Alice continued to speak.
"There's a...reason why Al doesn't laugh at your jokes." The demon chose her words carefully as (Y/N) shot up almost immediately, holding her by the arms with fierceness in her (e/c) gaze.

"PLEASE—tell me." (Y/N) practically threw her weight on the poor girl, sliding off her body and to the ground again groaning and pleading her to tell her why Alastor wouldn't laugh. Alice giggled again, finding her actions even more entertaining.

"I'm sorry, (Y/N). I'm sworn to secrecy. But you can ask him yourself." she cooed, pointing to the open door for (Y/N) to go off and find him.

Without thinking twice, the jester was out and speeding toward any direction in hopes of finding that strawberry-butthead. It seemed as though luck, or some otherworldly being was on her side that day as it didn't take long to find Alastor at the other end of the corridor, talking to Lucifer.

(Y/N) stopped far at a safe distance, not daring to interrupt this clearly intense conversation. Both males were smiling wide, but (Y/N) was exposed to smiles and laughs all the time. These smiles were angry and dangerous, and she was right to stay away. Both their auras were almost choking, and although the female couldn't hear the entirety of the conversation, she could definitely hear the hiss in Alastor's words, and the growl in Lucifer's.

Thankfully, Lucifer seemed finished and very much fuming as he walked off someplace else, anywhere but there, (Y/N) could only assume. The female sucked in a breath, calling out to Alastor before she got even closer, just in case.

The Radio demon turned with a clearly strained smile, holding his staff behind his back as he stared at (Y/N) who was walking closer.
"Ah, (Y/N)." he greeted, noting quietly to himself the static in his voice was much more prominent than usual. He was still irritated at the confrontation he had with Lucifer, who had invited him to his home. He felt a little stupid for walking into a bear trap like he did without looking down.

But watching (Y/N) walk toward him secretly made him feel better.

Just a little. (Actually quite a lot.)

The jester greeted him with a calm expression, twirling herself on her toes in front of him. He gazed down at her, adding another mental note of this memory to his longterm.

(Y/N) smiled, placing her hands on her hips.

"Does someone need some cheering up?" (Y/N) tapped her foot as the bell on her shoe jingled, and Alastor couldn't help himself from giving her a wider smile.
"I'm guessing you saw all that?" he asked, referring to the talk he and Lucifer had.

"I saw enough to believe you needed someone to comfort you. Am I wrong?" (Y/N) stepped closer, feeling his aura grow more and more relaxed with her presence. The Radio demon let out an involuntary sigh, shaking his head.
"You're not wrong, my dear." he replied quietly, and (Y/N) grinned.

Suddenly she gasped, comically placing her hands on her cheeks as she dropped her jaw in front of him.
"Wait, me, the apple-asshat's jester was correct? How can that beeeeee~" she spun around, flipping to stand on her hands and kick her feet in the air.
"I'm just the silly fool who makes everyone laugh. Is it working?" (Y/N) asked with a low, almost stupid sounding voice. When she looked up at Alastor from her position, she found his smile was even smaller than before.

Flipping back to her feet, she tried giving him a smile, opening her arms out to him.
"If that can't make you smile, then your jester can do flips until she feels funny! Would you like that?" she tried again, stepping closer as she reached out her hands. Alastor not laughing at her attempts were beginning  to strain her even more than she already was. Why wouldn't he laugh at her? Why did it hurt her so much that he wasn't laughing? (Y/N) sniffled, feeling tears suddenly fall down her cheeks in front of him. She let out a frustrated noise, tried to pad away the tears in hopes to save the rest of her painted face.

"(Y/N)." Alastor said her name so quietly she almost didn't hear him. Seeing her grief stricken face shook him to the core. All this time she had made a fool of herself to make him laugh, when all he wanted was—

"I just don't like laughing at you." he admitted to her, making her look up at him with wide, owl-like eyes.

"W-What?" she asked him as she watched him sigh, raking a hand through his hair.

"I know you (Y/N). You're much smarter than you make yourself out to be as jester." he told her, his eyes telling her a thousand words.

"Everyone else is laughing at you, when I just want to laugh...with you." he coughed, a pink color dusting his gray skin at his small confession.

His words made the female smile wide, and she hugged him, squeezing tight. He didn't really have to say anything else, it seemed as though his short words were just what she needed. He was right about her making herself out to be a fool for everyone else's entertainment, with no regard of herself. Maybe for once, she could laugh at a joke too.
"Thank you Alastor." she nuzzled into his chest, half expecting him to push her away. He did no such thing as he just went silent, returning the favor by wrapping his arms around her back.