Chapter Twenty Three

It's been almost a week, six days to be exact. I haven't left her side in all that time. Hell I hadn't even let go of her hand for longer than it took me to take a washroom break. I just couldn't leave my mate helpless and alone. It was bad enough that I could hear her whimpers every so often as she lay on the bed before and I wanted her to know that whatever she was going through she wasn’t doing it alone. I was hoping she would wake up soon and a small amount of fear in me was causing me to think that she wouldn’t. I feared that she may never wake up, that whatever was happening would keep her from coming back to me.

Twice now I’d been fooled into thinking that she would wake up. Twice now her hand had twitched just the slightest bit but her eyes never opened. She lay on the bed as beautiful as ever in the deep sleep that had taken her. Miraculously the wound on her neck had healed and even the burns that had covered her body were mostly gone now. When she woke it was likely she’d be able to skip the pain of her injuries.

I sighed as I looked over at her watching as she slept on peacefully now. Yesterday had been the first time she’d relaxed in this coma she was in. It was the first time I could feel a slight bi of happiness coming from her. She hadn’t whimpered since then. She hadn’t given any indication that the nightmares that plagued her were continuing and I was sure that they’d stopped. Whatever she dreamt about now had her relaxed and letting all her guards down and I wished that I was able to share it with her. I wished I could go to sleep and join her in whatever was keeping her at peace.

In the six days that I’d sat by her side I had barely slept. I’d only gotten an hour or so here and there and aside from the doctor, Greg and Nick I’d disallowed anyone else from coming in here. They were my only company these past six days. Even my father had been forbidden access; I still didn’t forgive him for keeping me from following her. I still blamed him that she’d been hurt at all. The fact that I’d walked in on him and my mother fornicating when she’d been brought back really didn’t help matters and had only influenced my anger to increase.

Gently I moved my fingers over her forehead pushing her hair back away from her eyes. I’d done this repeatedly over the days I’d sat here and even though she lay there unmoving it always managed to find its way back into her face. I didn’t mind so much, as it gave me a chance to touch her in a somewhat intimate way. My wolf enjoyed the texture of her soft skin. We both loved the feeling of heat that told us she was still very much alive and that she would return back to us.

I leaned over and gently placing a kiss upon her forehead I went to release her hand. I needed to leave her for a few minutes. Her hand clung onto mine. Her grip was tight and unrelenting. My eyebrows furrowed with confusion for a moment before I realised that she didn’t want to let my hand go. I pulled back slightly looking at her face and noticed her eyes twitching frantically, her mouth moving into a frown. The tubes that were helping her breathe had been removed two days ago when the doctor was sure she could breathe on her own.

I watched as her tongue ran out of her mouth gliding across her lips to moisten them and my heartbeat began to speed up. I knew what this was all leading to, she was waking up, she was coming back to reality and I could feel the smile form on my face at this. Liam would be so happy that she was waking. He’d been moved to a different room when he’d awoken but was still ordered to bed rest. His injuries were healing rapidly but somehow Lady’s had healed faster. In fact she’d healed in much the same manner as I would’ve.

I watched as her eyelids lifted slightly and then fell closed again. She was persistent though and tried opening them again with a little more success. I watched as she scrunched them closed wincing in pain. I decided then that it would be wide to get up and dim the lights. No doubt her eyes would be sensitive to it and it was causing her pain. I flicked all of them off except for the one row at the far end of the room and returned to her side taking her hand in mine.