Prologue

My heart thundered in my chest as I ran harder than my legs have ever had to push before. I don't know how they did it, but they found us again. They had figured out where we were hiding. Now they were coming for me, for us, once more. They wanted the secret I held inside. Every teeny, tiny, little detail of the thing I was sworn to protect with my very life. They were ready and more than willing to do anything possible to get it from me, without the smallest amount of hesitation. They didn't care who got hurt or killed in the process. They just wanted to know what was so valuable, that despite their obvious efforts in trying to gain the information from me, my lips have remained sealed. I was almost positive the fact that I wouldn't tell them, even after all their 'persuasions', egged them on even more. They knew the secret I held was very important. It had gone through two people, had even taken their lives, yet still, it somehow remained outside of evils grasp.

It was in my possession now, became my responsibility, my life's sole purpose for the time being. They could never end up with the knowledge of what I knew or the consequences would be catastrophic, for everyone. They were the wrong ones to give it to and I wasn't about to make that mistake. Ever. They were evil in every essence of the word. Demon's to be exact.

I glanced over my shoulder taking note that my Aunt Sally was still with me. Her age wasn't holding her back in the ability to keep a steady pace. We were fast, but they were faster, or at the very least, faster than her human self could run. We couldn't afford to let exhaustion slow us down.

I was aware that I could run much faster than I have been. My top speed would likely border on supernatural, but I'd never been able to test it. To embrace it would have meant leaving her behind against those things chasing us. Alone. I couldn't and wouldn't ever do that. I'd never see her again if I did.

She knew nothing about my secret. When she'd asked, the one and only time she ever had, I respectfully told her that I couldn't share it with her. The less people who knew, the better. She'd accepted my response and never asked again. At no point in my life did I ever give her any reason to distrust me, about anything. I was always honest with her, even if I was in the wrong. She didn't just trust me though, she literally put her own life in my hands. I had no doubts about that.

For the past two years she followed my every lead. At a moments notice she would pack up the few belongings we possessed to move again. She ran with me across the country on no more than our own two feet. She stood by me always, even while likely swallowing down her own fear on a constant basis. She always ran when I told her to, no questions or protests. No matter how tired she was, she pushed herself to keep going until I'd give the okay to stop. In all fairness she was more of a mother to me than my own had ever been.

It was my fault that this evil was brought down upon us. Feeling terrible about it changed nothing though. There was no possible way to turn back the hands on the clock and relive that fateful moment over again. I'm not sure that I would if it were at all possible. Its my belief that things always work out the way they are meant to be. The fates have already decided our plans for the future. It was up to us to travel the roads that would take us there.

We ran because we had no other choice. We ran the moment I could sense they were onto us again. I didn't mean it in the sense that we packed up and drove off into the sunset. No, that would be far too easy. I literally meant we gathered a single backpack of belongings each, mostly essentials like food and water, and beat our feet on the ground beneath us.

Running... We were always running. It never ended. Cars, planes, boats and trains were far too obvious when you were trying to make a clean escape. At least from these beings. They knew how to track those vehicles far better than if we ran. There were only so many places vehicles could travel when restricted to roads, tracks, water ways and the air. They couldn't track us as easily without them. Our feet gave us free range to go anywhere that it was physically possible to go.