Chapter Forty Eight

My mind was hazy as the fog slowly lifted from it. My thoughts were scattering rapidly as I tried to remember where I was and what had happened. The bed I lay on was comfortable but very firm, and I could hear a slight beep sounding from somewhere within the room. My body was aching unlike anything I’d ever felt before and a sense of dread enveloped me as I tried to make sense of it. It was a far greater pain then anything I’d experienced, and in no way was it similar to the overloads I’d experienced before. My eyes were heavy and refused to obey my command to open with more than a slight crack. Even that small bit they opened told me the lights above me were blinding, as it hammered into my eyes with excruciating pain. Out of reflex I closed them tightly against the pain and heard the muffled shuffle of a chair moving across the floor. It was only then that I realised I wasn’t the only one in this room.

I sniffed the air slightly trying to identify the person without opening my eyes again. Colt’s smell was the most prominent and I felt comforted that he was here, even while still feeling a surge of anger at his high handedness before. But Doctor Carter was also present and that pushed me onto the defensive. I truly didn’t like or trust the man. A human who doctored wolves was someone I’d question to great lengths and his treatment, or lack of respect in the past, forced me to feel uncomfortable with his presence. The only thing it brought to mind was that I was once more in the infirmary. But there was a new scent filling the air as well. One I wasn’t familiar with and yet I still found it familiar. I didn’t have even the smallest clue of who this person was, but I felt like I should.

I felt an overly warm hand press against the side of my face and the tingles that followed told me it was Colt’s. I moaned softly at the feeling of his hand on me in such an intimate way. I felt as though I’d been deprived of his touch for far too long. My heart thudded excitedly as his thumb brushed softly down the skin of my cheek and I groaned as he removed his hand from me.

“I think she’s finally waking again.” I heard the soft husk of his voice say to someone in the room.

“I’ll leave you alone to explain things to her. Call me when you need to.” Said an unfamiliar female voice.

A low growl sounded from my throat at this unknown person speaking with my mate. Her soft chuckle filled the air indicating that she’d heard me. “It’s not what you’re thinking Lacey.” She said with her humor coating her words. And then her scent left the room indicating she’d left as well.

“Lady I need you to open your eyes.” I heard Doctor Carter request and I couldn't help the growl of distrust that left my throat in response. But I tried once more to open my eyes. The heavy lids protesting greatly against the invading light.

“The… Lights…” I hissed out through a gravelly voice I barely recognized as my own. My throat was protesting the use of my voice, burning as the words left my mouth.

I heard the soft padding of someone’s feet across the floor and felt the comforting relief through my closed eyes as the light were dimmed low. Even still, as I forced my eyes open again, the dim lighting burned deeply. My eyes watered with the effort it took for me to withstand the temptation to close them again. They rolled back in protest when the doctor shone a bright light into each while checking me over. The grin on his face told me he was enjoying the torture that he knew I was feeling.

“Colt, I need you to leave for a few moments while I check over all her injuries.” Doctor Carter stated boldly and before a protest could leave my lips Colt had already voiced his own.

“I will not leave her alone with you.” Colt snapped out.

“I must insist Colt. It’s highly improper for you to be here while I check her over.” Doctor Carter announced with annoyance.