Serena's head jerked to stare at him. "Why would you thank me? All I've done is ruin Selena's life! I've done nothing to receive your thanks. All I deserve from you is hatred!"

Sebastian crossed the room and sat on the bed next to the demon half of his daughter. He spoke, "Thank you for talking to her. Thank you for being kind to her. She's always wanted a sibling. You're as close as she'll ever get."

"That's not true. I'm her. I'll never be a sibling to her."

"Serena, please. Accept my thanks. And for the record, I don't hate you. I couldn't possibly hate my daughter."

Serena was about to respond when something happened inside her. It felt like Selena was fading, like she was vanishing into nothingness. Suddenly, Serena had a look of alarm on her face.

Alex was the first to notice. "Serena, what's the matter?"

"I can't feel Selena anymore. I have to go find her!"

Serena let go of controlling her body, and raced inside to find Selena.

***

Selena's body fell back against the bed, motionless. She looked like she was asleep, but they all knew better.

"Maria, tell Finny to go back to the manor. Tell him that Selena is asleep and that he won't be able to see her," Sebastian ordered.

"You want me to lie to the boy?" Maria asked, almost shocked.

Sebastian nodded, then turned to Alex. "We need to talk."

Alex nodded. Then Maria sighed and left the room.

Sebastian didn't speak until he couldn't hear Maria's footsteps anymore. "What I'm about to tell you, you can't tell anyone else. Do you understand? Not even Serena can find out."

Alex slowly nodded, and Sebastian began to speak.

***

"Selena?!" Serena called. "Selena, where are you?!"

Serena ran throughout their world, not knowing, or caring, where she might end up. Eventually, she was able to see a faint light out in the distance. She ran for it, and came upon it's source a few minutes later.

She was standing beside a sleeping Selena. Her angelic light was barely visible, and she seemed to be almost translucent, but Serena couldn't tell whether or not it was real or just the way she looked in the realm.

Serena knelt down and gently shook Selena, trying to wake her.

A few moments later, Selena's eyes fluttered open. It took her a minute, but, finally, she focused her eyes on Serena.

"Serena?" She asked quietly. "What is it?"

Sighing with relief, she answered. "I couldn't sense you anymore, so I got worried. Dad just got here, if you want to see him."

Selena struggled, but eventually got to her feet. "Serena," she said. "What's happening to me? I don't feel like normal."

"You feel that, too?"

"What?"

Serena didn't want to say it, but she had to. "You feel weaker, don't you?"

Selena slowly nodded.

Serena frowned and stomped the ground. "I knew this was going to happen! Why was I such an idiot?!"

"Serena. What's happening? What are you talking about?" Selena asked, puzzled.

"We're dying, that's what I'm talking about! I should have known better! You were weaker to begin with. I should have thought this through!"

"Are you saying I'm going to die sooner because you were stronger to begin with?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying! We have to find a way to keep us strong and alive until we can accomplish what I split us up to accomplish. I guess we'll both be working with Alex. But you need to take control for now. We can still talk later tonight."

"Alright," Selena said, then took control of her body once again.

***

Sebastian stood and paced the room, trying to figure out how to word what he needed to tell the boy before him. Once he finally had an idea, he began to speak.

"Have you out ever had a feeling that you know me from somewhere?" Sebastian asked.

Alex stared at the demon in shock. "H-how did-"

"I met you the day you-"

Sebastian was cut off by Selena's wings turning back to light gray. He watched his daughter carefully, not wanting to continue if she was waking up.

Alex watched both of them. He closed his eyes and searched for Selena's energy, and found it fainter than it had been when she was sick. Serena seemed to have suppressed herself as to not get in the way. Alex felt eyes on him, and opened his own.

Selena was awake, lying on the bed, looking between her father and Alex. Her gaze lingered on the boy's face a moment longer than her father's, and then she turned away from both of them, curling herself up into a ball on her bed.

Sebastian sat on the edge of the bed, stroking his daughter's soft, long black hair. He could see Selena shaking, but couldn't tell if she was cold or crying.

Alex stood and walked to the other side of Selena's bed, where she would be facing him. "Selena? Are you alright?"

Letting out a soft whimper, she shook her head. Her eyes were tightly closed, but were still leaking tears.

Alex grabbed Selena's hand, which was clenched tightly to a fistful of bedsheets, and held it. She immediately let go of the sheets and clung tightly to his hand. Sebastian shook his head at Alex, telling him not to take it any further than that, but Alex either didn't see it, or he completely ignored it.

Selena was trying to hold her sobs inside of her, but her tears gave her away. She let out quiet sobs, and Alex rubbed her hand.

"Selena?" Alex asked in a quiet and soothing voice. Selena remained silent other than her softly crying to herself.

"Selena, are you hurting? What happened?"

To Alex's surprise, Selena opened her eyes. They were red from crying, but not demon red. She lightened he death grip on his hand, and said quietly:

"I'm going to die."