Chapter 32

Chapter 32: Carter’s POV

                City Hall. We stood in front of the large statue of the town’s mayor which also had an engraving. Steven Houston it read. I was holding Camilla in my arms, putting the stroller in the hotel before coming here. I sighed as I started to walk up the stairs to the front doors with Andy beside me.

                When I saw the large oak door I pushed it open and I walked to the front desk where a secretary seemed to be organizing her desk. I smiled at her and she looked up when she heard our shoes hit against the tile floor.

                “Hi I’m Carter Gray, I was wondering if it was possible to speak with the Mayor?” I asked her.

                “You can’t just ‘see’ the mayor.” She frowned. “Why do you need to?” She asked me.

                “I am Marilyn’s daughter from another relationship and I needed to speak with my…. Step-father.” I hated that name. “My mom likes to say that I don’t exist by the way if you’re curious.” I said with a bit of rudeness in my voice. I was losing my patience.

                She looked annoyed with me as well, she picked up her phone and pressed a few numbers. “Mayor Houston, I am sending up a visitor.” And she hung up. “Go to the left hall and go all the way down till you see the two oak doors with the Mayors name on it.” She told us and we nodded.

                We started to walk and I looked over at Andy. “I used to wonder why I hated my home town… now I know.” I grumbled. He chuckled at me as we stopped in front of the door.

                “Let’s just go talk to this dude.” He said to me and I nodded, pushing open the door with my free hand. I smiled at the Mayor who was sitting at a large desk with different piles of papers and books on the shelves. He had awards of the walls and multiple degrees.

                “Hello Mr. Mayor.” I smiled at him.

                “Hello… I don’t know your name I’m sorry.” He chuckled.

                “My name is Carter and this is my fiancée, Andy. I just needed to tell you some things that you really need to know about your fiancée.” I said to him, sitting down in a chair, Andy sitting in the one next to me and taking Camilla.

                “Marilyn? No one knows Marilyn better than me!” He laughed aloud, his voice boomed the room.

                “She’s my mother.” I stated. “I think I know her better.” I said to him.

                “Marilyn doesn’t that a daughter! Stop playing games with me.” He snapped.

                “She was in a relationship with a man named Tom Gray. They had me, my dad left, and Marilyn aka my mom became a drunk and had to provide for myself. She never went to college. Her degree is a sham and a fake.” I told him. “I am her daughter and you’re my step-father. Sorry it took so long to meet my mom doesn’t like telling people I exist.” I raised an eyebrow at him.

                “Carter Gray is it?” He asked, confirming my name and I nodded. “Carter Gray, how can I know you’re not just playing around with me? Playing around with the mayor that is! Trying to mess up my upcoming marriage!” He yelled at me.

                “Maybe because there are things called birth certificates with Marilyn’s name on it. You don’t have to social with Carter sense you’re not even related but she thought you deserved to know that your soon-to-be wife hasn’t exactly told you everything!” Andy said, making the entire room fall to a dead silence. “Go search your fiancée’s things, you’ll find the paperwork.” Andy growled as he held his daughter close, trying not to frighten her.

                Steven fell into his chair in frustration and confusion. “What do I say to Marilyn? ‘By the way I met your daughter today you’ve never told me about.” He mocked. 

                “Tonight, just take about things they can easily bring up this situation. This is our last day here before going back to Los Angeles. Do you have any more questions for me?” I asked him.

                “Would you be upset if I broke up with your mom?” He asked me.

                “Does it look like I care? She almost starved me when I was younger.” I snorted.

                “And kidnapped you.” Andy piped in. Stevens’s eyes widened. “Long story.” Andy said to him. We soon parted ways and we started heading back to the hotel room. When we walked in I just fell onto the bed while Andy placed Camilla next to me.

                “Why are there annoying people?” I asked Andy who joined me on the bed in a crisscross position and placing his daughter on his lap. He shrugged as she kissed her head which was barely showing hair.

                “I don’t know but I know someone who isn’t annoying.” Andy said, holding her close.

                “She better not date any annoying boys.” I said, poking her nose.

                “She better not have a boyfriend in 3rd grade.” He chuckled and I laughed along with him as I got up to find her a jar of something to each. I found a jar of Apple and Cinnamon baby food. That actually sounds delicious. I grabbed a spoon as I opened the jar.

                “I want to feed her though.” Andy pouted. I rolled my eyes playfully, handing him the jar and spoon and placing the girl on my lap. “I’m the best baby food feeder in the world.” He chuckled as he opened the jar with a small ‘pop’ and removed the top.

                “I dare you to taste it.” I grinned. His eyes widened.

                “But it’s like yellow and brown.” He cringed his nose.

                “It’s apple and cinnamon.” I told him. He stared at the label and rolled his eyes, taking a small chunk and tasting it while I stared at him for a response. “Well?” He looked at the jar as he thought about the taste.         

                “It’s not that bad.” He shrugged.

                “Do you want to try the one with beats?” I grinned and he quickly shook his head. I laughed as he started to spoon feed Camilla. “I love you.” I said, kissing his temple.

                “I think I love you more.” He grinned.