Chapter 8

We took a break from the movie after about an hour. My leg felt numb and ached since it had been stationary for so long. So, I thought of taking a walk around the house, hoping it would ease the pain. 

Tia volunteered to make more popcorn and get some drinks. Michael went with her. The rest of them stayed behind. 

I also needed some time alone.

The day had been really good. I saw my favorite boy-band live and I was getting a cool, sort-of  new garden. I had also hugged Jason and I felt like the first time I had had a crush. I was getting obsessive about everything that happened between us. And I replayed the hug over and over again, wishing it would happen again. 

But then my phone rang.  It was Grace.

"Sup? How was the concert and the movie? Are you done watching it yet or - " She threw me question after question before I could even say a word.

"The concert was amazing," I interrupted her before she could continue. "You should have seen them up close. I - "

"Yeah, fine, whatever. I like them, nothing more. And don't try to force it on me!" She snapped. "Answer my other questions."

"Fine. We're taking a break from the movie right now," I answered. "I don't know what we're doing later on.  Will you come?"

"I don't think so. You know, Bailey's house is quite far away and we're gonna go out for, um, bowling or something," she said vaguely as if she was hiding something. Bailey was the head cheerleader. I knew she would never go out for something as 'unfashionable' - as she put it - like bowling. Stammering for an excuse, Grace had said something that would obviously give her away.

"Grace," I said suspiciously. "Bailey and bowling? You expect me to believe that?"

"Oops. Stupid excuse right? It's just that, um, Drake asked me out," she admitted. " And I agreed and we're going out with some friends." She said it all in a rush to get it out. I knew why and I felt guilty about my friends insisting on doing things like this to prevent me from getting hurt. 

Drake Shannon was one of the jocks of our school, who was a grade above us. The 'tradition' of jocks and cheerleaders dating had probably been since the beginning of time. Except, I had never really liked Drake and especially not since . . . that. 

It was sweet of Grace not to mention him, but I still forced her into it. Drake had been asking her out for ages but she refused everytime. For me. I told her it wasn't necessary. He just played a small part in it. Nothing big and something he couldn't avoid. But Grace insisted. I felt good that she gave in to him. She used to have a small crush on him and it had probably always been there.

"Yes, finally!" I said happily. " Have fun."

"Thanks," she sounded relieved. " Um, Vanessa wants to talk to you." She added in a whisper.

"Vanessa Stewart?" 

"Yeah, who else? She says it's urgent." I could hear the sarcasm in Grace's voice.

"I can't. Tell her that I . . . I had to go because everyone's calling me and that we'll talk later." 

"Will do," Grace chuckled. "You don't really have to go, though, do you?"

"No. But I'll talk to you later?"

"Yeah. Bye." 

I cut the call and decided to return to the living room. I came towards the kitchen and heard Tia and Michael talking. They couldn't see me and I suddely felt mischievous. I crept slowly towards the kitchen hoping to sneak up on them. But as I came closer, I heard someone's name and stopped in my tracks.