Chapter 31

Friday afternoon, I was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling with my iPod on shuffle, playing the saddest songs I had on my play-list, when someone knocked on the door.

The door opened before I could respond and Tia walked in. "I don't care if I'm not allowed to come in because I'm already in."

"I wouldn't have refused either way," I told her. "What are you doing here?"

"You're sick," she said, matter-of-factly. "How could I not come visit?"

I smiled. "Thanks."

"So," she said, climbing onto my bed. "How do you feel?"

I sat up. "I've got a slight temperature, but much better."

"That's good," she acknowledged. "The timing was weird, though."

I chuckled. "Yeah."

Suddenly, she turned towards my phone and frowned. "Seriously? Are you throwing yourself a pity-party? That's one of the dullest songs I've ever heard!"

"It understands me," I told her.

"Post-breakup sickness, huh?"

I shook my head. "I just caught the flu. That has nothing to do with my breakup. I'm fine."

Tia shook her head disapprovingly and then grabbed my phone. She looked at the screen and raised an eyebrow. "You're playing your 'sad' play-list."

"I really did like him, you know?" I said. "But I didn't shed a tear."

"Not even one?" She challenged. Damn, she knew me so well.

"Maybe a few," I allowed.

Tia sighed. "Have you spoken to him since?"

"Only texted."

"How do you really feel about the break up?" She asked, looking concerned.

I allowed a small smile onto my face. "I'll get over it, as long as things between me and David are good."

"I'm positive they will be," she said, encouraging

"I hope so."

Just then, there was another knock on the door. This time it wasn't one person but a whole crowd that walked into my room.

I grinned as I saw all my friends, each of them holding a different colored flower.

"Jeez, guys." I chuckled. "You aren't coming to visit my grave."

"Crap." Michael feigned surprise. "I was positive your brother told me that you were dead."

"Not funny, Mike," Zoey chided, jokingly. She came forward and handed a white rose to me. "They're plastic flowers, Kirs. And they've got something else in them."

Curiously, I looked at the flower. Between the petals, lay . . a chocolate? I removed it out and looked at Zoey. "Your brought me Maltesers?"

Zoey grinned. "A sick person deserves a treat."

I smiled back. "Thank you. And you brought my favorite."

"Anything foe you, you know," said Grace. She handed me a sunflower that held a mini KitKat bar.

"I can't possibly eat all of these on my own," I said.

"Don't worry." Jason came forward, a yellow rose in his hand. "We bought our share on the way here."

"Good," I remarked. "I won't feel guilty about eating them then."

"And you're Mom wants us to stay here for dinner," Tia informed me. "So we're not leaving anytime soon."