Chapter 15

The nerves were killing me. It wouldn't be long before Jason and I would be on stage, dancing infront of the entire Sophomore class.

"Kirsten." Jason appeared in front of me, blocking my path. "Prancing around the room like that is not going to do you an good. We'll be fine out there. You just have to believe that you can do it."

I stared at him in awe. How could he be so calm and sensible at a time like this?

I was dressed in black tights and a white blouse with it's sleeves rolled up till my elbows. My hair was tied in a tight ponytail and I had limited my accessories to white studs and a silver heart necklace.

"Well?" Jason raised his eyebrows. "Did you understand a word I said?"

"Yep." I nodded, even though it was a lie. "Thanks."

Jason rolled his eyes. "Yeah right. You're still in a state of panic."

"I'm not-" I started to protest but Jason lifted a finger to my lips, instantly shutting me up.

"I know you better than that, Kirsten," Jason said. "Now. Listen to me carefully. We've worked on this for a long time. And I know that we'll be fine. You need to get over your anxiety and remember that if anything does go wrong, I'll be right there by your side. Okay?"

Get over my anxiety? Who was he kidding? Jason might be able to detect my emotions or recognize a lie, but he didn't know that nothing he said would help my current state of mind.

However, I didn't want him to feel bad about it. His words were encouraging. If only they had an effect on me like everything else he did and said.

I took a deep breath before replying. "Okay."

"I'll be right back," Jason said. He hugged me and went to join a group of guys standing at a distance, talking.

I sat on of the sofas in the room while I ran my eyes across Jason as he walked away. He was wearing a white v-neck T-shirt with black jeans. The short sleeves showed off his muscles and his hair was styles up with some gel. All in all, he looked attractive as hell and I might have drooled if I didn't have more control over myself.

"You aren't being creepy at all." Grace's voice brought me out of me - slightly explicit - thoughts.

I turned to look at her, ignoring her comment. "Don't you look pretty."

She was wearing a blue dress that flowed till her knees. Her red hair was left loose except for a blue head band on her hair.

"Thanks." Grace smiled. "I see you were going for casual yet chic. Suits you."

"Thanks too."

"Attack of the nerves, is it?" Grace asked casually.

"You have no idea," I muttered.

"And you know as well as I do that once you're on stage, you'll fall right into character."

I knew that she was right. Ever since I was a kid, I always had pre-performance panic attacks - or whatever else you call it. No matter if I had prepared for the show for a whole year, I still panicked right before the program. And the minute I was on stage and the act began, the nerves died away like they never existed in the first place.

Jason came up to me then. "We're up next," he informed me.

"Good luck," Grace said before I left, hugging me.

In a few minutes, I found myself walking to the stage, facing a filled auditorium. I couldn't see any of my friends, though I knew that they were out there somewhere.