Chapter 20

By the time school was over, there was one thing I was sure of. My decision was not wrong. It had been a long time since Adam and I broke up. It was the circumstances in which we broke up that was wrong and I hadn't got the closure I needed.

Ofcourse, my friends had their own opinion.

"What do you mean you're going to talk to Adam?" Tia asked, incredulously. "Are you even thinking right, Kirsten?"

"I know what I'm doing," I replied, trying my best to convince her and the others who had similar expressions on their face. "I just have to sort some things out with him. It won't take that long."

"You're not going to talk to him," David stated with a tone of finality. "We don't trust him."

"I'm not sure I do either," I said. "But I need this. Plus, it's here at school. It'll be in a crowd. He's not going to do anything."

"Not convincing enough." David crossed his arms, defiantly.

"Come on!" I exclaimed. "It's right here. You can watch me if you want to. And I swear, it won't take long."

"What if it does?" He challenged.

"You can come and take me away," I suggested.

He looked around at the others. Michael spoke. "Deal. We'll be watching you, so don't be worried."

I looked around at them. "Thank you so much guys. I love you all so much. But now I have to go." I had seen Adam walking out of the building. With a wave at my friends and a reassuring smile, I went forward to meet him.

"Hey." His face lit up on seeing me. "I wasn't sure whether you would come or not."

"Well, I'm here," I said as we walked. "Was there anything particular you wanted to say to me?"

"Are you in a hurry?" He asked.

"Yeah. My friends are waiting for me."

"Well, for one, I want to know how you are."

I was surprised at his caring tone. "I'm good. How have you been?"

"I'm okay." He sighed.

"Where were you while you were gone?" I asked the question that had troubled me ever since the last time I saw him.

"I was in juvie in Richmond for a while and then I was in Rehab for 9 months," he said, nonchalantly.

"When did you come to New York?" I questioned.

His eyes never met mine as he spoke, instead staring straight ahead. "July. My dad was paying for my treatments and he seemed to realize the he had been negligent all this while. After I was released, he asked me to move back here. I didn't have anywhere else to go anyway, so I couldn't refuse."

My voice was barely a whisper when I asked the next question. "And your mom?"

"Coma." He answered, simply. There was silence before he turned to face me and spoke again. "I'm really sorry about what happened Kirsten. I was out of my senses. I don't even know how or why I did that. I was in shock, of course. But a million apologies won't be enough to make it up to you. So, please, tell me. How can I make it up to you?" His eyes were filled with desperation and I was forced to look away.

If there was one thing I loved about Adam, it was his honesty. He wouldn't hide things for long and if there was anything you needed to know, he would be frank about it. I could always understandhow he felt due to the emotion his dark eyes always seemed to hold. Even this time, I knew that his every word was sincere.