Chapter 19

I spent most of the day trying to avoid Adam. I rushed from one class to another, asking my friends to look around for him. I didn't see him at all. But I would panic at the sight of any guy with dark hair, before realizing that it was someone else.

I guess my behavior would be considered comical but my instant response to seeing Adam in the morning was to stay as afar away from him as I could. I had had time to accept the fact that he was here and I wouldn.'t be able to avoid him. But I knew that I would probably have to face him at Lunch.

The day seemed to rush by and then, I was walking out of the class after French, with David, heading to the cafeteria.

"Kirs," David said as we walked, sounding hesistant. "He's probably going to be there."

"I know."

"And you're okay?"

"I've had a couple hours to think about it," I answered. "If he does come and talk to me, I wont be able to avoid him. Trust me, I've thought up quite a few scenarios and they get crazier by the passing minute." I laughed.

"And what have you concluded from all of it?" He asked.

I contemplated my answer before replying. "I guess . . I feel like I'm prepared for it. Like, I'd probably be able to talk to him. It was a complete shock seeing him here today. But I've had more than a year to get over him. It was kinda crazy in the morning, but I'm fine now." I smiled at David. 

To my complete surprise, he stopped and hugged me tightly. "I'm so happy that you are," He whispered, before letting go of me. "Shall we?" He pointed in the direction of the cafeteria and we went inside.

He wasn't there. But a lot of people were looking at me. Trying to look as composed as I could, I swiftly walked to the table where my friends were seated.

"He isn't here," Tia informed me as soon as I sat down.

"I know -"

"No." She cut me off. "He isn't now. But you just missed him."

"He was here?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah." She nodded. "He got his food. And then he left with Drake and some of his other friends."

"Okay," I said, slowly. "I'm going to get some food now." 

I got up and went to buy the food. The line wasn't very long and I was done quickly. But on my way back, I met Grace. I'd seen her in homeroom earlier but she had something else to tell me.

"Adam said that he had some work at the administration office," Grace said as we walked. "Drake insisted on going with him and the other jocks went with him too. But I don't know whether they're going to be back anytime soon."

I sighed. "I can't avoid him forever, Grace. I've had time to think about it and if I have to see him earier, I don't mind. It's got to happen soometime, right? But thank you so much."

Grace smiled. "You're welcome." She squeezed my arm comfortingly. "You know, he didn't even look at me. He kept avoiding my eye." She chuckled. "Maybe that's why he left. Probably thought he wouldn't be able to sit at the same table as me."

 "I guess that shows that he regrets it," I said, thoughtfully. 

Grace's eyebrows lifted up. "Are you serious? You tihink he regrets it?"

I shrugged. "It could be possible. I mean, as crazy as it was, he did apologize like a million times. Plus, I've had time to grow over it. I can't even hate him for it anymore."

We had reached the table, so we stopped. "Why not?"

"I'm done doing that," I answered. "I want to be as mature about this as I can."

"You should do that." Michael smiled. "You joining us?" He turned to Grace, 

She shook her head. "I left a half eaten sandwich back there, Maybe tomorrow. See you guys later." She turned to me. "Good luck."

I needed that. But luck must have been feeling nice enough to let me get past the day without any clashes with Adam. I still felt a little cautious but Lunch went by without any hassle. 

I got my books for Chemistry from my locker and was nearly to class when 'luck' decided that it was time to leave me. 

"Kirsten? Got a moment?"

I turned around to look at the speaker, already knowing who it was at the first syllable. He was quite far away when I had seen him in the morning. But now, I could see his features clearly. His hair, dark as ever, his dark eyes that shined in light, his tanned body. It was exactly as I had last seen him, but he did look older than before.

I was suddenly aware of how quite it had grown in the hallway and snapped out of my trance to look around. The second I looked away, the students turned back to their conversations. 

"Kirsten?" He repeated.

"Uh, yeah. Hi." 

I was mentally chiding myself for the stupid reply when he cracked a grin. "Hey. Long time, huh?"

"Uh, yeah." I nodded. What was wrong with me? I wasn't even freaking out. I was simply saying stupid things, like a 13 year old talking to her crush. 

The smile never left his face. "Are you free now?"

"I was just going to class." Finally, a sensible sentence.

He glanced at the watch on his wrist. "Well, I really want to sort some things out with you. Do you think we could meet somewhere today?"

"I don't think so."

"If not today, then maybe tomorrow. Or maybe during the weekend?"

I shook my head. "It's not the timing. It's just . . I don't think it's a good idea for us to meet."

His expression changed as soon as the words left my lips. "Oh. Right. Sorry. I should have expected it, I guess."

"No." I shook my head again frantically. "It's not me. It's just . . My parents. And my friends."

He sighed. "I really want to talk, Kirs." I took a steep breath at his mention of my nickname, but Adam didn't seem to notice. "Maybe at school then?" 

I could see that he really wanted to do talk. And, at the same time, I knew how he felt. There were some things that were left to sort out between us. I also wanted to know how he had been the time he was away. 

That was the reason I agreed to meet him after school was over. 

The bell rang. "I'll see you later, okay?" When he was gone, I rushed to class, trying to calm my racing heart.

(A/N) I'm really loving writing this which is why I'm on an update spree. I've never been more proud of myself. Even though, I've been neglecting my other books. But if I finish writing this book as soon as I can, I will be able to concentrate on them. 

I will try to drop in another update this week. But I'm not sure about the next because school reopens. *Bawls* I've a crazy month of exams coming up. But I'll try to write to relax. 

Anyhow. Please tell me what you thought of this chapter. Vote and Comment, please?