Chapter 32

I hadn't attended a basketball game in ages. At least not since Adam and I had been dating. But Adam was being extremely persistent, arguing that it would be a good way to celebrate after the stressful days before the SATs got over yesterday.

The school gym was brightly lit and the mascot, a red panda dressed in the school colors of purple and yellow, moved throughout the corner of the court. It was the nail-biting last few minutes of the game that would determine whether the Ballemore High players win or the ones from Tulliston, dressed in blue and white jerseys.

"This is insane!" Tia cried from beside me. "Do you think they'll score?"

"No idea," Zoey said from beside her. I sneaked a glance at her to see that she was leaning forward in anticipation, squeezing both her hands together tightly. "There's only a minute left and it's a tie. They have to score."

There was no conversation between us after that. Our attention was back to the game and at the ball that was being passed around from one team to another.

I looked at the clock again after a few moments. There were thirty seconds left, and that's when the game became even more tense, if that were possible.

The ball was snatched away from Michael who, in a second, got it back again and started dribbling it towards the basket meant for their team. As one of the opposition came at him from the side, Michael, at the last moment, threw the ball at Adam who was standing free near the basket. It was a small mistake by the other team but Adam was able to efficiently catch the ball and shoot it towards the basket, earning their time two points higher with only three seconds to go.

As the referee blew the whistle to indicate the end of the game, the entire crowd at the gymnasium erupted into screams and cheers.

"Come on!" Tia tugged at my arm to follow the crowd onto the court. I didn't really have much of a choice and so found myself climbing down the steps. The huge mass of students led me towards the basketball court, but Tia's hand soon left mine and I saw her run towards Michael. I looked around to search for Zoey but found myself facing Adam instead. 

"Congratulations." I grinned. 

"Thanks." He beamed. "And also for coming here."

"After all that begging you did, how could I not?" I teased.

Adam laughed. "So, are you coming to the after-party?"

"There's an after-party?" I asked. 

He nodded. "Yup. And if you refuse, you know what I'm going to do." 

I chuckled. "I guess I have no choice then."

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around to see Jason. Before I could say anything, Adam spoke up. "I'd better go get changed. See you later, Kirsten."

"Bye." I sent him a small wave as he walked away. Turning to Jason, I smiled. "Hey!"

He returned my gesture with a small smile. His hands were in his pockets and he appeared restrained. "Hi. So, apparently there's this party later. We were wondering whether you were coming?"

"We?" I queried. 

"Well, it was Michael who wanted to ask you," Jason replied. "I offered to come ask you."

I observed him closely for a moment, the way his eyes wandered, the distance he kept from me and the formal, crisp tone with which he spoke. "Is something wrong?" I questioned. 

"No. Why?" 

"You just seem a little . . off." 

Jason shook his head. "I'm fine."