Chapter 22

Tia and I were shopping for a gift for Grace. Her birthday was the next day and we were having a party at Michael's house since his parents had allowed us to take over their place for the night while they were out. Michael had an older brother, but he was away at college. 

We wanted the party to be held for just the few of us since we rarely got to catch up with Grace. However, Grace did have a lot of other good friends on the cheerleading squad who had to be invited.

We were at a shopping mall, walking past some home decor shops. 

"How about a handbag?" Tia asked. "There's a Steve Madden store up front."

"Sure." I agreed. 

When we couldn't find anything we liked, we moved to another store.

"How are things between you and Dave?" Tia asked while she examined a big blue handbag and then put it back on the shelf, shaking her head. I agreed wih her decision. The bag had style, but it wasn't the type Grace would use.

"Maybe we should go to a different type of store," I suggested. "The collectiions they have here are mainly for people our moms' age."

"Yeah. They've got some more shops on the next floor." We headed out of the outlet, but Tia wasn't done with me. "You didn't answer my question."

"Everything is fine," I asnwered, briefly. "Just like they always are."

"So you aren't thinking about him all the time anymore?" 

I rolled my eyes. "I stopped thinking about him 'all the time' when I was fourteen."

"You know what I mean." When I didn't answer, she gave an exasperated sigh. "God, Kirsten. What happened?"

"Nothing happened. I'm simply confused."

"Please elaborate," Tia demanded and I knew I had to oblige.

"Well," I began, thinking back to how I had felt at school all week. "Jason's there, of course. It's not like I've stopped liking him or I like him less, but he's been hanging around with Vanessa a lot lately and that keeps reminding me of the extent of unacceptability of my crush on him."

Tia chuckled. "Go on." 

"And then there's David," I continued. "Who keeps distracting me all the time and who's been sucha  great friend to me. He makes me laugh and he's so concerned every time Adam talks to me, which isn't even necessary since Adam and I are simply catching up and he's fine now. But it's still so sweet and it's pulling at my heartstrings and I just get a rush of warmth whenever he does stuff like that." I stopped to take a breath. 

Tia laughed again. "Admit it. You like David."

"But Jason -" 

She cut me off. "You and Jason are not happening and I think you've already realized that. It's not a matter of who you like more, Kirsten. You're just mentally looking for a way to move on 'cause you know it's the right thing to do and your former crush on David had been left hanging. And now, it's catching up."

"So, now what do I do?" I groaned. 

"Now, you will help me choose the perfect gift for Grace," Tia said and grabbed me into the nearest accessory store she saw.

 ~*~

Tia and I met Zoey later in the evening for a dinner at Applebee's. We had finally managed to select an appropriate handbag for Grace along with a photo frame in which we planned to put in our photos and also add personalized messages. 

"So, what are you both doing for Homecoming?" Zoey asked as we began to eat.

"I'm helping out in the rally," Tia answered. "My mom's friends are staying over at our place for a few weeks and the kids are a noisy lot. So, I'm staying out as much as I can."

Zoey laughed. "Good luck with that."

"Thanks," Tia replied, sarcastically. 

"What are you doing, Kirsten?"

"Honestly, I had completely forgotten about that," I answered.

"Well, now you know."

I shrugged. "I don't know. There isn't much to do is there."

"But what about the dance?" Tia asked. 

"What about it?"

"Are you going to go?" Zoey questioned. 

"I don't know," I answered. "Are you?"

"If anyone I like asks me out, I guess," she replied. "You?"

"I guess not. I could go without a date but I don't want to be the only one. You want to be my date Zoey?" I chuckled. "We'll have loads of fun."

"You're not going to do that because lots of people are going to ask you to be their date," Tia said matter-of-factly. 

"I'm not going with someone I don't know," I said. 

"You could just go with Dave again," Zoey suggested, innocently. I didn't realize that the change in my mood was visible on my face, but Zoey's expression suddenly turned serious and her eyes widened. "God, relax! It was just an idea. What's wrong?"

"She's having issues," Tia answered for me and told Zoey about our chat earlier

"Wow," Zoey said after Tia was done. "That is very interesting."

"Interesting is the last word I would use to describe how I feel," I told her, annoyed. 

"Okay," she said, cautiously. "I know you're having a hard time. But it really does seem like you kinda like him."

I groaned. "I don't want to like him."

A smile made it's way onto Zoey's face. "It's so cool though. I thought your crush on him was over after you met Adam. And I remember how devastated David was when you started dating him." I felt a pang of guilt on hearing her words. I was so happy to be with Adam, I completely forgot about the little feelings I had for David. "I wonder, though, whether he still likes you." She mused.

"Bet he doesn't," I muttered.

Zoey's was still smiling playfully. "You don't know that for sure."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't understand why the both of you think it's a good thing. I think I'm going to lose my mind in the middle of all this craziness."

"But you'll get over it," Tia said with a smug smile. Apparently, it was two-against-one now. "And I would love to know whether David does like you. It would be for the best. You're liking him again and if anything does happen between the two of you, you'll be over Jason for good." 

I shook my head. "I refuse to have this conversation," I stated adamantly. 

Tia shrugged. "Sure." 

They agreed to my request but the smiles didn't leave their lips for the rest of the night. 

(A/N) I'm back. :P

I wonder if any of this makes sense. So, if there's anything I need to clarify, please do let me know. 

Vote. Comment. Share. ^_^