Chapter 11

Deep breaths. Deep.

He wasn't there. Neither was she.

I seemed to be doing okay, but it probably wouldn't be the same if I saw the two of them together, officially a couple.

After buying some food, I went towards our table. Zoey had some work in the library, so she left early. And I needed some time alone.

I had seen Jason today during Algebra. For about 5 minutes, until he was called out for some student council work.

I guess it was believable.Unless, you know that Vanessa Stewart is secretary and has the advantage of getting favours done by the president, Nathan Wills, In return for favours, of course. And most importantly, you are aware that Vanessa also happens to be in a relationship with Jason Marx, the person who was called out during class and who has nothing to do with the council.

In a way, it was a good thing because I've avoided talking to Jason. Only texting him. I don't know whether I would be able to talk to him normally and pretend that I am happy for him. If Jason doesn't turn up for lunch, I'll get more time to form some sort of a strategy.

I was seated at the table, silently eating my sandwich, when someone clicked their fingers in front of my eyes.

"You know what's not fair, Kirsten?" David said. "This whole . . . solitude thing of yours. You lose your boyfriend, I understand - " he stopped himself when my head shot up. "Sorry. I just think you shouldn't be so gloomy," he mumbled.

I sighed. "It's okay. I'm sorry too. For being like this. Just . . give me some time to get over it. At least I didn't tell him like I planned to, otherwise . . . . " I trailed off.

My mom's lecture had had an effect on me. It seemed right to go tell Jason how I felt. But now I was glad I didn't. God forbid I had gone and to him and told him that I liked him . . I coudn't even imagine what would have happened and how it could strain our friendship.

"So are we back to normal?" Michael asked.

I nodded, forcing a small smile to form on my lips.

"Oh My God!" someone shrieked. "You cannot be serious!"

The voice came from the next table. A dark skinned girl with straight black hair and dark eyes that were wide open in shock. "Sorry," she mumbled, when she saw the stares of everyone in the cafeteria.

Conversations returned but it could not drown out the voices of the people from the next table. I looked away from it, sneaking glances now and then.

"Tamara, I told you not to freak!" a girl, I recognized as Amy, said. "It's only a rumor and those two aren't even here yet."

"We'll know then whether the rumors are true or not," Tamara said, with a glint her eye.

"I think they make a pretty hot couple," A boy said. "They are two very hot people. And damn! Vanessa is so -" he stopped when Amy smacked his arm.

"Way to go, Nate," Tamara teased.

Nate glared at her. "I'm sorry babe," Nate said to Amy. I remembered that the two had started dating earlier this year. "I didn't mean it seriously. You're way better than her and she's not even my type."

I thought it was a lame effort but it did the trick.

"Really?" she asked, dreamily.

"Of course!" Nate replied, bending down to kiss his girlfriend.

However, the minute the minute their lips touched, a voice broke them apart. "They're here!" Tamara squealed, pointing towards the door.

Vanessa and Jason stood there, talking like they usually did. Except, this time, they walked in holding hands.