Chapter 23

It was weird how comfortable as well as nerve-wrecking things were with David. On the one hand, I would feel sick to the stomach every time I saw him and on the other hand, I was so comfortable with him. 

I remained at a corner of the room while Grace opened her presents. She looked gorgeous in a purple dress with ruffles at the skirt and a belt at the centre. I was admiring her red-brown hair, flowing behind her, when I felt a presence next to me. 

"Hey," Jason greeted me. 

"Hi." I smiled. "What's up?"

"Nothing much." He shrugged. "I just feel like I haven't spoken to you in a long time."

"Yeah. You seemed busy for the past few days."

"I am," he admitted. "I've got loads of stuff to handle." There was a sad tone to his voice, instantly making me want to hug him tight. 

Instead I said, "Anything I can help with?"

He looked thoughtful. "No. I don't think so. But, thanks for the offer."

"If there is anything you need, you can always ask."

He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. He looked worn out and I realized that I hadn't spent a lot of time with Jason since school started. Plus, with the whole David thing going on, I hadn't thought much about him as well. It was a good thing for me with my 'getting over Jason' mission, but he was still my friend and neglecting a friend wasn't the way to go. Even if you did happen to have a crush on him. 

"I'll keep that in mind." I saw him look around the room before he said, "I've to go talk to Vanessa. I'll see you later?"

"Sure." He went away towards his girlfriend, chatting with one of the cheerleaders. I didn't get the chance to see what he did, since someone else said my name. I turned around to see David and my heart felt like it had jumped into my throat. 

"Hey!" He grinned. "Why are you here alone?" 

"No reason."

"Mind if I join you?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Not at all." 

"You look great, by the way." His eyes ran down my body, taking in my sphagetti-strap, polka dot white-and-black dress and my black pumps. 

"Uh, thanks." My nervousness increased as his eyes met mine again while I was mentally freaking out about him checking me out like that. 

He smirked. "Aw, look at you, Kirs. You're blushing now."

"I'm not!" I exclaimed, even though that was a complete lie. My cheeks were burning. 

David laughed. "Anyway, Tia told me that you weren't going to homecoming." Oh, God. Why? "So, I figured that if I didn't come to your rescue again, you would probably be stuck at home while the rest of us were having the night of our lives."

"It's homecoming, Dave." I rolled my eyes. "It's not a big deal."

"But you're going anyway," He saidm firmly. 

"You don't get to decide that." I crossed my arm over my chest defiantly. 

He shrugged. "Well, I'm taking you anyway." I opened my mouth to protest but he continued. "I don't care if you decide to be dressed in sweatpants that night, I'm going to carry you out of the house while you're wearing sweatpants if I have to."

I shook my head, laughing at his immatureness. "Jeez. You don't have to blackmail me. I'll come if it matters so much to you."

His face lit up like that of a little kid. "Perfect. You're awesome, Kirs."