Chapter 24

Apart from the fact that this was the second dance I had attended with David, there was nothing else in common with this one and the last one.

For one, Jason had decided to skip it and second, Adam was here with a few friends. 

Jason's absence was strange but, according to Michael, he had decided to go some place quiet with Vanessa. Normally, I would have been disappointed, but now I wasn't.

David was making sure that I was having fun and Adam and I were currently chatting while David had decided to steal Zoey from her date for a dance. 

"You look gorgeous, by the way." Adam smiled, indicating towards my attire. I was wearing a light blue dress with a heart-shaped neckline. It had layers at the skirt, which reached a little above my knee. I had on white pumps, long white earrings as wells as a simple bracelet and a white band on my index finger. 

"Thanks." I smiled back. "You look good too."

"Good?" He pretended to be offended. "You know I look fabulous."

I wrinkled my nose. "Fabulous is the last word I'd used to describe you."

"I'm hurt." Adam shook his head, his hand over the left side of his chest. "Such rudeness, Kirsten."

Looking at him, I couldn't suppress the laugh that had been threatening to escape since his change of expression. "I knew you were good, but you've obviously improved. Still planning on acting?"

"Yeah." Adam grinned. "I worked on it whenever I had some spare time. They helped me develop on it in therapy." The smile left my lips. Adam had never spoken about therapy before and I began to feel uncomfortable. "Don't." His lips were still lifted upwards. "It's not a big deal. It did happen, after all,  and I don't have any problem talking about it."

I looked into his eyes, unable to form words. All I could think about was what had happened and how sorry I was for him. At least I wasn't alone. Adam's case was entirely different. 

Adam chuckled, lighting up his handsome features. "Seriously. It's okay."

"I'm sorry," I whispered, shaking myself out of the grief-filled thoughts that had taken control over my mind. 

"Don't be." He smiled, taking hold of my shoulders. "Come on, Kirsten. I'm fine."

I let out a deep breath. "I really am."

"I know," he said softly. "But let's just put that behind us, okay?"

I nodded. "But you still shouldn't gone through all that."

"And what about what you went through?" He questioned, his tone apologetic. "Look, I'm really sorry about everything that happened and you know that if I had the chance, I would change all of it. But I can't and so I'm not going to indulge in it and I don't want you to do it either. Okay?"

I smiled. "You've become philosophical."

He shrugged, looking relieved. "Therapy. That was one of the main things they made me work on."

I was about to say that I was sorry again, but I stopped myself. Instead, I stood on my tiptoes and wrapped my arms around him. He reciprocated the gesture immediately. It was the first thing I wanted to do and I acted on instinct. But we didn't stay that way for long. 

Just a few seconds later, someone coughed from behind Adam causing us to pull apart. Adam's expression was comforting. I was glad that he knew that it was just a friendly gesture. But it wasn't a surprise. Adam and I had known each other extremely well. Reading the other person's expression was no big task and I was glad that that hadn't changed.