Chapter 28

I was surprised to see Noah and Stella when I opened the door at Michael's house.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked as the walked inside.

Noah grinned. "We weren't going to miss the best halloween party in town."

"Yeah. But you're way too early," I pointed out.

Noah shrugged. "We thought you could use some help."

"That's very thoughtful of you," I said. "How about you help Jason put up the decorations?"

"Both of us?" Stella asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Unless you'd like to be separated while you're here?"

Noah grabbed Stella's hand. "Nah. We're good."

I chuckled as they walked away. Immediately after, I felt two arms wrap around my body from behind me. "Hey," David whispered into my ears. "You want to take a break?"

I smiled. "What kind of break?"

"One that would keep us occupied."

I laughed as I turned around to face him. "I wish. But we have a lot of work to do around here."

David smirked, his face inching closer to me. "It will only take a minute."

His lips met mine and I couldn't stop the smile that made it's way onto my lips. I kissed him back, my arms wrapping around his neck, and for a few moments, I forgot the outside world.

Two things happened at once that caused the two of us to break apart.

First, I heard the sound of something falling to the ground. And second, Michael screamed, "Get a room".

My cheeks were blazing as I let go of David. "What the hell, man?" David said, but he was grinning.

"Now how many times have I seen her blush," I heard Zoey say.

"Shut up," I muttered, my eyes scanning the room. They stopped on Jason.

"What happened?" Michael asked him.

"Nothing," Jason said as he picked up two tapes and a ribbon roll from the ground and put it back in the steel container in his hand. "It slipped from my hand."

"You okay there?" David asked.

"Yup," Jason said. He avoided everyone's eyes and turned back to his job.

I wasn't the only one who noticed, though.

"You're going back into that shell of yours," Michael said.

"I'm not a snail," Jason muttered, causing all of us to laugh.

"Seriously, man," Michael said as he walked towards Jason. "You just dropped some things. It's no big deal."

"It was kinda embarassing." Jason turned to look at Michael. "Can't blame me."

Michael narrowed his eyes. "You know what? This party is for you. You should stop doing the work."

"What? No!" Jason protested. "I'm not a guest here. I thought we were close enough friends to have passed that stage."

"I thought so too." I was taken aback at the pain in Michael's voice. "But you don't act like it yourself. So I figured you might want to be treated like how you're acting."

Jason let out a deep breath. "I don't, okay? I'm sorry if that's what it seemed like. And it isn't true."

"Right," Michael said. "I wish your actions would prove your words."