35.

Aaina x Zaydaan

Aaina x Zaydaan.

Zaydaan always thought that men who waited for women were fools, men who waited for anything in general were absolute fools. You didn't need to wait for people, for things, for success. You needed to snatch it, get it but you didn't need to sit around meaninglessly and wait for it.

Yet, here he was. He had been sitting here for hours, waiting and waiting.

He stared at the blank white wall in front of him, his daughter asleep in his arms. He felt the tension, the anxiety, his mind full of a certain kind of emptiness and his heart in his throat.

The doctors had been in there for hours now. How long was this fucking surgery? Why was it taking so long? Why did he have to wait this way?

He heard the familiar tap of heels as the door opened once again, showing Minal with a cup of tea in her hands.

He felt her eyes, staring at him and Zayla. Maybe, she was thinking how vulnerable he looked, maybe she was imagining how it would have been to marry him and have his kids, maybe she was thinking about how incredibly weird this sight truly was.

She knew he never liked children, she never liked children. Yet, he had a daughter he loved the most and she was trying to have a child of her own.

She took a few more steps, placing the cup of tea on the table in front of him as she sat by his side.

"Do you want me to pick her up?" She questioned, telling him that she could hold his daughter while he had his tea.

He didn't his tea cold after all.

The Prime Minister just shook his head, still staring at that blank white wall.

"You hate kids." He mumbled, remininding her of all the times she had told him how she didn't want kids at all. She didn't think she had a motherly instinct within her, she didn't think it could get developed.

He felt Minal click her tongue, offended in a way. She used to dislike kids but she had never hated them.

"I don't hate kids. I have actually been trying to have a child for a while now." Minal replied, finally making Zaydaan turn his head towards her.

For a moment, this piece of information made him forget where he was, what he was doing or why he was here in the first place.

Minal was ready to have children. She was trying to have a baby?

Minal?

Minal who cringed everytime a kid came near her, Minal, who hated that women were considered child bearing objects, Minal, who was against motherhood just because she didn't want to love something so much that she forgot about her own existence?

"What changed your mind?" He questioned, now staring at her with such an intensity that Minal gulped.

The last time these brown eyes had actually, genuinely stared at her with such a sadness yet a certain amount of love, it was the day he had told her goodbye, before marrying Aaina.