Chapter 25

Tiffany felt ready to return to work sooner than she thought she'd be. She was beginning to feel bored being in the house all the time, and it made her stir crazy. Just running errands and just hanging around was beginning to feel stale. There was a lingering doubt however, about just how ready she was but she ignored it. She couldn't keep herself holed up inside forever. The morning she was leaving, Dani began to walk up to her slowly, looking very concerned.

     "Babe...I just want to know if you're completely sure. If you're not sure, then please don't rush." Dani said to her, her face sincere as ever. Tiffany smiled at Dani, and reached out to touch her face.

     "Dani, I can't keep doing this. I gotta return to society sometime." Dani returned her look, concerned. She nodded, with her lips pursed.

"Fine. Just...take it easy." She stepped forward and gently kissed Tiffany on her lips. Tiffany reveled in her kiss and completely relaxed as she tasted her girlfriend's lips. She was reluctant to pull away from that sweet flavor because it was safe, familiar. Doing so, she looked into Dani's concerned eyes. It was almost as if she was scared for her just as much. "You can call me on your lunch break, ok?"

     Tiffany nodded as she walked away with her hand still holding onto Dani's. Finger by finger, they separated and Tiffany slipped out the door and down the front steps. She was probably just overthinking this whole entire damn thing. Jason's crazy ass probably forgot all about her. Right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     So far, work was actually going pretty smoothly for Tiffany. Of course she started out shaky and a a bit jumpy, but that was almost to be expected. Her job didn't feel unfamiliar to her, it just felt like riding a bike with training wheels. Even so, Melissa and Lamont were working today too and they had her back. If anything were to actually go down, they were right there. She was lucky enough to have some of her favorite commuters come to her counter. Amongst mostly idiots on autopilot, Tiffany did have a few favorites. Her day had been so enjoyable that she didn't realize 1 pm had swiftly approached. Lunchtime.

     "You and Melissa want anything? I'm heading over to the burger joint." Tiffany walked up to Lamont before leaving.

     "Just fries. I have a suspicion and theory about those burgers. There's been less rodents in the station lately and I don't trust it." Lamont looked up, serious as a heart attack.

     "Gross," Tiffany commented with her face contorted. He was not about to sit here and ruin her favorite  lunch spot in the station.

     "Lamont, shut up! Tiffany wants to eat, not go on a hunger strike because of you." Melissa scolded.

     "Then she's better off with a salad."

     "Lamont!" Melissa smacked him on the arm. Her face softened as she turned to Tiffany and smiled. "Fries for me too. But only because I'm really not that hungry, not because I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist." At this, Lamont whipped his head around to Melissa, looking almost offended.

     "Okay, two fries it is." Tiffany said, still twisting her face up at Lamont and nodding at Melissa.

     "What? You think it's a joke? I've been hearing it for weeks, I'm telling you you're better off eating rabbit food!" Lamont called after Tiffany.

     Tiffany rolled her eyes as she walked away in the direction of the favorite burger spot. She had missed the place a lot while she was on leave, and she couldn't wait to taste one of those delicious burgers again. She made her way into the place and stood in line. Suddenly she giggled to herself, remembering how nasty she and Dani were being in one of these restrooms in the very beginning of their romance. How there were eyes on them as they both came from the one stall bathroom as soccer moms and old ladies stared at them with disapproval in their eyes. They didn't give a fuck, because they knew they were building up something special.