Chapter 9

It had been almost a week since the Six Flags venture. Things had been awkward between Dani and Tiffany since. They hadn't spoken, hadn't acknowledged one another and things certainly were awkward at work. Lamont had noticed and tried speaking to them individually. 

     "That's cold blooded Tiff. What made you curve her like that?" He'd asked.

     "I don't know...it's like there's this block that just popped up as soon as she said that. I wasn't trying to hurt her," Tiffany had stupidly responded. Not that this wasn't true, yes it was. That's what it had felt like. She couldn't describe why or what but that was the best description she could give. 

     "Well if I were you I'd unblock it, and talk to her. I've seen her crying, Tiffany." Upon hearing that she'd shut her eyes like she'd been slapped across the face. She had to know something of that extent was coming. Nice going dummy, you made her cry. Now you'll never even dream of having her again. 

     Whenever Dani was close by it was like Tiffany didn't exist. Tiffany was being too much of a coward to try and speak to her, too afraid of what she might say. There were times where she felt Dani's icy stare almost penetrating her skull at work but she tried her best to ignore it. The bridge was burned and she didn't think there would ever be any mending it. She fucked up, point blank. But why did she reject Danielle?

     All the days and months of crushing on her, hanging out with her, fantasizing about her...she finally was presented with what she'd been wanting for so long and she runs. It was like being told she won the sweepstakes and then saying no to the grand prize. Coward. It was almost hard to look into the mirror at herself while she did her makeup. 

     She paused. Maybe she should chance texting her and tell her that she's just sorting out her feelings? No...no. That just sounds like a sad, feeble attempt. And if her own number came back as blocked she'd feel really stupid. So she left it alone, because that's all she knew how to do. The only way she knew how to fix it. 

     "Babe you almost ready?" Jason's voice shook her out her thoughts. In some weird twist, things between them had started to improve. The time she'd been giving to Dani was now going to Jason, who was actually acting right for a change...still. He had been attentive, patient, and sweet. It was like he was turning a whole new leaf. It felt unusual but Tiffany didn't wanna rock the boat. She felt a bit closer to him but of course she also felt a huge void on the inside.

     "Almost!" She shouted, finding her voice. Tiffany looked into the mirror again. Her magenta lidded eyes stared back at her. If her reflection could chastise her she bet it probably would. Sighing, she put away her makeup and walked out the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Jason had been very thoughtful lately in planning out their dates and this one had been no different. First they went to a new upscale seafood place that was by the riverfront downtown. The place was quite impressive and Tiffany was good and full once they left. Their second destination was to see a play. Jason had managed to score tickets to a popular show because he knew how much Tiffany loved the arts. She was impressed by that only because she didn't think he'd remember that at all. 

     After the dinner, they held hands and walked around by the water, the warm evening air making for a comfortable stroll. A few families were out and kids were running around on the lush green grass. Tiffany's skirt blew in the breeze. 

     "Did you enjoy the show?" Jason asked, looking into her eyes. 

     "I did, very much. I remember reading that play for school once."