Chapter 6

Tiffany came into work with a super awkward feeling in her gut. She sat down at her window and took a small glance over at Dani, who wasn't even trying to look in her direction. She was saddened by this but at the same time still angry. She couldn't let Dani think that anything between her and Jason was gonna change but she wasn't even certain of that herself. Tiffany was distracted by a rude tapping at her window. 

     "Hello?? Ma'am? If you're done daydreaming can I purchase my ticket please?" Some bald man with glasses, a suit, and a frown was staring Tiffany dead in the face. 

     "Sure....where are you going?" 

     "Riverside. Round trip. For the thousandth time."  Tiffany pursed her lips. She couldn't wait to get this asshole away from her window. She typed his information in the computer and told him his price.

     "$18, sir."

     "Excuse me?? $18? Since when for a round trip?" He asked, sounding astonished.

     "Our prices increased at the beginning of the season sir. We posted flyers and everything." Tiffany sounded monotone.

     "That's a lie. I've been paying $16 forever and all of a sudden you sneak that in. Shameful." Was this asshole serious? The man was standing in front of the window in what looked to be an expensive suit, looking clean as can be, and he was gonna sit and bitch about $2? Because $2 more would totally kill his pockets right? He slammed his card on the counter and Tiffany gingerly took it and swiped. The ticket printed and she handed that and the card back to the man. 

     "Thank you. Have a good one."

     "18 goddamn dollars..." he muttered and walked away. Tiffany sighed and got up to head to the back. The day was starting badly already. She didn't see Dani get up and follow her.

     Tiffany stood at the coffee machine in the back and waited for it to finish percolating. Dani came into the room and stood in front of her in silence. Tiffany glanced up and saw her. Neither girl saw Lamont creeping at the door. "What, you gonna chew me out some more? Yesterday wasn't enough for you?" Tiffany said.

     "What are you doing after work?" Dani said it with a straight face as if it was a statement, not a question.

     "What?"

     "What are you doing...after work?" Dani asked again. 

     "I don't know Danielle, but this is not the place." Tiffany spat. 

     "You're coming with me."

     "Excuse me?" Dani took a deep breath and dropped her voice down to a whisper. Lamont leaned by the door as much as he could without being seen.

     "I have decided that...I still can't let it go. Can't let you go. So if this is gonna keep going on, then I need you to get tested." Dani finished. Tiffany's mouth dropped open and so did Lamont's. But inside, Tiffany realized she couldn't even be mad. Dani was right about this. Neither one of them knew they couldn't just drop the other and forget this...thing, whatever it was. She still didn't know what the hell she was gonna do about Jason but she needed to decide, and quickly. 

     "...fine." 

     "Thank you." Dani grew a small smile and gave Tiffany a peck on the lips. Instantly, warmth flooded from her belly to everywhere else like sunshine. Why did that keep happening? Suddenly Lamont walked in clearing his throat and the two sprung apart. 

     "Relax y'all, I came for coffee just like you." He said with a smirk that both of them caught. 

     "Lamont....how much did you see?" Tiffany asked.