Chapter 16

Dani picked up the tray of breakfast and brought it over to Tiffany, who was sitting up and staring blankly ahead. Last night had been too traumatic so she called out from work. Dani stayed home to take care of her. 

    "Babe, please eat," she pleaded. Tiffany didn't budge. 

     "Look. I know you're not very much in the mood to eat. I get it. But at least get in a couple bites?" Tiffany still didn't move. "But it's your favorite though, look...cheesy eggs! Just how you like em!" Dani said with a hopeful smile. Tiffany said nothing, but directed her eyes downward. Sure enough, there was a plate of scrambled cheesy eggs and ketchup, pork link sausage, and two flaky biscuits. A glass of orange juice was on the nightstand next to her. The eggs alone were enough to make Tiffany's mouth water and ignite her appetite. She finally picked up the fork and began to eat.

     "I knew the eggs would get you," Dani said. Her eyes accidentally landed on Tiffany's throat and her smile quickly dissipated. Intense emotion grew within her eyes. Tiffany caught this and stopped chewing. She slowly turned her head to Dani. The look didn't leave. 

     "He put his hands on you..." Dani struggled to continue talking. Tiffany swallowed cautiously and winced a little. 

     "Aw, baby...." Dani immediately got up and ran to the kitchen area, returning with a dishrag full of ice. 

     "Here. Put this where it hurts." She told her and handed it over. She placed it on the bruise gently and winced again. 

     "I hate seeing you like this, I can't believe he did that to you, that asshole," Dani spat. "He has me wanting to make phone calls."

     Tiffany found her voice.

     "No," she croaked. Dani's head snapped right up. 

     "Huh?" Dani asked.

     "Don't....I'll be fine," Tiffany whispered. She tried taking another bite. Dani's eyes softened and she sighed. 

     "Well...if that's what you want, then okay." 

     "I'm breaking my lease...I don't want the memories."

     "Okay. Anything else?" 

     Tiffany shook her head slowly and pressed the cold dishrag to her throat.

     "Thank you," She said.

     "Of course," Dani leaned forward and gave Tiffany a peck on the forehead which made her smile a little. For a few minutes, she ate in silence. Dani got up and went to her room with Tiffany staring after her. A few minutes later she re-emerged with a shiny gold chain in her hand. She took her place back beside Tiffany.

     "This is my guardian angel pendant," Dani started. Tiffany eyed it as she chewed. Dani placed the charm in her hand so Tiffany could get a better look. 

     "It was a gift to protect me. I don't know if this idiot will be walking the streets again, but in case he does and until things settle down...I want you to wear this at all times." Dani reached over and clasped it around Tiffany's neck. The charm gently landed on her chest. She reached down and fiddled with it with a small smile. Once Tiffany was done, Dani whisked the tray away into the kitchen. Coming back over to the couch, she saw Tiffany wincing again. 

     "Your back?" She asked. Tiffany nodded. "Can you lay on your belly for me? I wanna take a look at your back too." Very slowly, Tiffany turned over on her stomach and Dani lifted up her t-shirt. There was a purplish bruise on her lower back. Dani stood there and looked at it, that ugly slow burning anger returning. How can anybody do this to an innocent human being who they say they love? How? Dani felt tears pooling in her eyes. Before they could spill, Tiffany snapped her out of it.