Chapter 22

Tiffany sat at the edge of Dani's couch staring in the distance as she held her cup of tea in both hands. She looked absolutely lifeless. Dani had been pacing slowly back and forth in front of the coffee table, worry clouding her head. Every other second she was checking her phone.

     Tiffany had temporarily moved in with Dani, until things calmed down. Put her name on the lease and all. Tiffany told her she wanted to leave her own place and she meant it. This last issue was the straw breaking the camel's back. Tiffany's place was no longer safe, and even so, it held terrible memories that Tiffany need not remember. She had taken leave from work after the last incident, as she was beyond shaken mentally and couldn't focus much. Not to mention, she didn't need anyone unwanted popping up at her job. Dani was taking care of Tiffany full time. It was as if she was shellshocked. She didn't do much speaking, laughing, or smiling.

     Of course this was huge for Dani to take on so early on into things, but Tiffany needed her now more than ever and she wasn't going to leave her side. Whatever Tiffany needed she gave her, but she mostly stayed quiet. As long as she understood Dani wasn't going anywhere.

     The doorbell rang and Dani stopped in her tracks and looked up at the door. Their friends had told them that they were going to stop through and check on them, just as they did after the first incident. Lamont was upset at the situation, wishing maybe he had done more the night he found Tiffany in danger. Dani had told him to stop by with Melissa if he wanted to.

     Dani opened the door slowly, relieved to see Melissa at the door with some shopping bags in her hands.  Melissa opened her arms and embraced Dani warmly. Dani would have been lying if she said this situation didn't fuck her up just a little too.

     "How have you two been? She get any better?" Melissa pulled away and looked past Dani over to Tiffany on the couch. The poor girl looked dead inside. Dani frowned back somberly.

     "Unfortunately, no. She's barely eating. I've been trying but I don't think I've been successful."

     "Somebody say food?!" Lamont announced, coming through the door behind Melissa with a casserole in his hands. Whatever was inside smelled wonderfully delicious. "I can fix that." He walked over to Tiffany, who attempted to lift her head to him and give a nod. The smell was making her secretly salivate just a little bit.

     "What's that?" She whispered.

     "It's Mexican night, Tiff! I made enchiladas, extra stuffed and cheesy with Mexican rice. Smells good right?" Lamont asked. The scent wafted through the house but all she could do was nod.

     "Smells amazing, but I don't know."

     "At least try one, you'll be back for more." Lamont went to put the casserole on the counter. Melissa and Dani went and sat on either side of Tiffany. Dani took one of her hands.

     "How you been honey?"  Melissa looked into Tiffany's hurt eyes with sympathy as they welled up with tears, which spilled out with her sudden sobs. Immediately Melissa embraced her as she cried on her shoulder. She held her there for a few moments, allowing her to let it out while Dani's heart broke in the background.

     Dani watched her girlfriend break down in tears on their friend's shoulder, sobbing hard. She'd cried so much the past few days. The sight broke her heart into pieces. At the same time, somewhere within her she felt a small twinge of anger trying to ignite itself.

     "Every time I close my eyes I see it," Tiffany said, trying to calm herself. "I see that ugly writing all over the wall, I see my shit all over the place, I can't stop seeing it in my head," she started sobbing all over again. Melissa spoke up.