Chapter 48: 50's Pin-Up Doll

Cody's POV

My mind is swimming the entire week leading up to Rolfe and my rescue plan. It's the day of our planned rescue. We got to the bottom of what was happening. Rolfe figured it out from bits and pieces of information he got from his teammates. All we know is that Skylar is being brought to an abandoned warehouse two towns over. We don't really know why but Rolfe thinks it has something to do with Westley's debt to a drug dealer and the disappearance of his younger sister.

Our plan is to scope out Westley's house and go from there.

I can't help but feel miserable about the whole situation. It breaks my heart to imagine Skylar being so helpless and afraid at the hands of such evil men. I feel obligated to protect her. When her parents left on their expedition to Africa for National Geographic, her dad called me over. He sat me down and told me I had to protect her and ensure her safety while they were gone. Our families being so close, Skylar's dad has always been like a second father to me, and hopefully he will become my future father-in-law if all goes according to plan. 

He told me to protect her and I've failed him. I can't help but feel at least partially responsible for her disappearance. It already made me feel extremely guilty that she's been targeted by Hanley to be used to make me jealous. I can't help the looming feeling in the back of my brain that she's gotten into this trouble due to my overprotectiveness over her. People see her as my weakness... I just wish Skylar didn't need my protecting. That way, she wouldn't be put in danger. But I wouldn't change her for the world. She's perfect the way she is. Maybe, if she wants, we'll get her into some self-defense classes when we get her back--if we get her back. 

As all of my insecurities about our relationship begin to creep up again, my thoughts are interrupted by a certain firecracker with blonde bouncy curls and an angry expression. She just stands there next to me, just expecting me to speak.

"Can I help you?" I start.

"I've given you a week to figure things out yet Skylar is nowhere to be seen. Where. The fuck. Is she, dipshit?" Chelsea  folds her arms and puffs her chest out. She means business.

I roll my eyes. "I'm working on it the best I can. Leave me alone."

"Ohhh! Wow, another false promise of my best friend returning home safely. How helpful of you. I'm not buying that half-assed answer and you know it."

"Chelsea, it's too dangerous for you to get involved."

"I don't care. Skylar is my best friend and I'll do anything to ensure that she gets returned to me safely."

"Just let me take care of it. If all goes well, she'll be back by tonight." 

"I heard rumors of Skylar being sold to a gang. Cody, this is serious. We need to get the police involved."

"They can't do anything. The gangs in this town are untouchable." Ever since Skylar went missing Chelsea has been badgering me to call the police, which is a bad idea because from what Rolfe said, Donovan doesn't play by those rules. The police can't touch him. It would only blow our cover.

"Yes they can. They're the police for crying out loud!" 

"Don't you think if they could've done something about the gangs they would've by now?"