Chapter 44: Car Chase

Cody's POV

And so I drove off into the evening. The only problem was that I had no idea where I was going. I knew the general area where he lived and if I saw his house I would have recognized it... but every time I've secretly followed Skylar there to make sure she would be okay, I wasn't focused on my surroundings but instead on the car in front of me and particularly, the person inside of it.

After driving in circles aimlessly, I decide to call it quits. I drive home in deep frustration, formulating in my head a plan to get my girl back. 

The next day after school I follow Rolfe's car. He rushes out of the parking lot in a rush to get wherever it is he is going. I half expect him to see me behind him and swerve away, but he doesn't. In fact, he seems rather calm and distracted and he's even going 10 under the speed limit. He's just cruising down the road!

That son of a bitch thinks that he's just getting away with stealing my princess! My Skylar. 

As my mind veers off, I almost don't see Rolfe's turn signal. Shit, he's changing lanes. I have to cut off a Jeep in order to make it to where he is. He makes a right turn and I follow him. I think to myself that I don't remember him living in town center? Where else could he be headed?

It isn't long before his car pulls into the parking lot of a tall building. What is this place? Is this a doctor's office?

I park the car and follow him inside at a distance. He doesn't see me. Instead, he goes up to the desk and talks to the clerk before turning to sit down in the waiting area. However, upon turning around, we lock eyes and he turns paler than a ghost. 

I walk over to him in long strides. He clears his throat and his eyes are trained on the floor.

"What the fuck is this place?" I remark. The people in the waiting room are all staring at me by now.

"What are you doing here?" Rolfe appears nervous, almost as if he was caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.

"Finding out what you did with Skylar."

"What are you talking about?" His face reads genuine confusion but I know he's lying. He has to be, right?

"You know exactly what I'm talking about. You were jealous that Skylar was returned to me where she is supposed to be and you stole her away again."

"Skylar's missing?" 

"Just tell me where you took her."

"I didn't take her. Are you saying that she was kidnapped?"So maybe he doesn't actually know what I'm talking about. I tell him what happened to her as to see if it rings a bell.

"So you were lying about being broken up and now she's been kidnapped by the blackmailer?"

"Yes."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

"Huh?" 

"Can I help get her back? Even though we're broken up I still care about her. What can I do to help get her back to safety?"

I'm taken off guard. Rolfe Scott is willing to help me? An interesting turn of events, but I need all the help I can get at this point. 

"We need to find out who took her, but first, what is this place? Why are you here?"

"My therapist's office... I've had a lot of stress issues recently," Rolfe says, his eyes trained on the floor. Suddenly a nurse calls his name and he has to go.

"Alright. Well, we can talk later, but right now I need to draw up a whole new set of suspects."

A/N

So it's not Rolfe? Or is it? teehee

I love reading your comments. They make me more happy than you know. And we're past 180,000 reads! That's absolutely insane.

Shoutout goes to seablu10 ! They voted on every single chapter. I LOVE YOU!

XOXO, BEA