Chapter 55: Cries of Increasing Silence

"Yukina Minato." He declares. Oh God...

"Yukina?" I say in concern.

"Yes. She refuses to speak to anyone, not even me. She also spends most of her time in her room, only coming out to eat or go to school. I've done everything that I can think of to try and help her. But none of them have worked..." Mr. Minato says in a depressed tone. "I don't know what to do. I was hoping that maybe you can help Yukina. Please, I'm worried about my daughter."

It takes me a moment due to shock before I can respond.

"Of course. I'll help Yukina." I declare.

Mr. Minato rapidly turns around before he stops and asks a question.

"Did you... break up... with Yukina?" He asks.

"Umm... Yes... I... I made a mistake... a big mistake... and she left me..." I say in depressed tone while looking at the ground.

"Is that so?" Mr. Minato says.

"Mr. Minato, it's not his fault, w-we, pressured him." Sayo says.

"I didn't say that I blame him, I just... like to think fondly of the times when she spoke of the comfort you provided..."

"She did?" I ask.

"Yes, she did. She said you made her feel like she no longer had an option to 'not do better than her best' I chuckled at the wording then... Only now do I realize how important that is." Mr. Minato says.

"I see..." I say. I can't believe that Yukina thinks of me like that, enough for her to talk about me to her father, her reason for singing...

"I think I can finally begin to understand just how much damage a single person is capable of making... But, I have also learned that hating myself for causing this pain will only cause the others around me more pain. I will not mope around anymore, I will fight, for Yukina." I declare with the confidence of knowing that my failure leaves many souls and hearts at stake.

"You seem better than what my daughter makes you out to be." Mr. Minato says with a small smile.

"You seem pretty lax with the fact that I became and desire to become emotionally involved with your daughter... why is that? If you don't mind me asking..." I wonder out loud.

"Oh, that? Yukina... has been very independent of most of us for a while, she's already a strong young woman. I don't question her judgement unless I can see weakness in her resolve. Her resolve was stronger than anything I had ever observed whenever she used to speak of you." Mr. Minato says with eyes seemingly remembering better days fondly, something that looked like his eyes have done on more than one occasion. I wonder if my parents would've made such eyes if they saw me back when I was... being weak...

"I understand." I nod. "We'll do our best to help Yukina."

"Well then... if you could kindly." Mr. Minato motions for us to follow him, obviously to lead us to the Minato residence, of which I actually knew where it was... I mean after all... Lisa and Yukina are neighbors. I pull out my phone to contact Lisa, Ako, and Rinko.

--------------------

30 minutes later

We reach the Minato residence the same time as Lisa and Ako did. Once more Rinko couldn't make it.

I remember my conversation with Rinko.

"Hey Rinko, I'm going to Yukina's place, umm... she seems to be in similar condition to Ako and I'm thinking we're going to need a bit of music to help bring her back to reality, would you be able to show up?" I say.