Ch. 52

Damian's POV

    I woke Kierra up about an hour after she fell asleep. I couldn't let her sleep all night or she wouldn't sleep in the day.

   She groaned and stretched up. "I'm still sleepy." she rubbed her eyes and yawned.

   "I finished a lot of paperwork, it's around 2, let's go greet the people." I stand and head to the door. Kierra follows and when she steps beside me I reach over and grab the leash.

    "Greet the people? You mean we are going to see the kingdom?" She smooths out some wrinkles in her clothes and I smile.

    "Yes, and before we do I'm going to get you a small snack before dinner." I open the door and walk through the throne room. When I exit the double doors I notice there are now guards stationed there.

    "Keep up the work gentlemen." I nod to each of them and they nod back.

   The building had changed some since I had last seen it when my grandfather was King, but not by much. The dining hall was in the same area it always was.

   I go to the head of the table and sit. Kierra stands by my side and it doesn't take long before a server comes out.

    "Your majesty, how may I serve you tonight?" The servant was human, like most slaves.

    Get me and my pet something to hold us over before dinner. Nothing too big." He nods and hurries back to the kitchen.

    We wait for maybe 5 minutes or so. At that time I thought about where to go and make my appearance. Kierra shuffled around a lot.

   Our food came out and they had a blood pudding for me, while Kierra had a Spinach salad.

   We ate in silence and the server cleared our things. I head out to the main entrance when I'm stopped by someone.

    "Damian, are you leaving without a hello or goodbye to me?" A vampire struts up to me.

    "Genevieve, how are you?" I smile as we embrace. I hadn't seen my cousin in so long.

   "I'm doing rather well, and I see that you have been exceptionally well too. Considering you're the King and all. Should I practice my curtsey and proper edicate?" She smirks and glances at Kierra.

    "You were never one for pleasantries. Where is your pet?" I see Kierra seems uncomfortable, I wouldn't know why? I'd have to see when we were alone.

   "Hmm, oh. He's in my room cleaning it up. It's punishment for leaving some of his things in the way. I see you have an adorable beauty right here. She looks so young. Austin is 25, so he is mostly well trained." She walks up and plays with Kierra's hair.

   "I was going out to the city, want to join me, Genevieve?" I missed her aloofness and playful banter. She was one of the few that treated her pet well. Cleaning was a treat compared to what most vampires would do.

   "I changed it to Guen. And I would be thrilled. Let me get Austin, he can clean later." She rushes off to get ready and I sit on a nearby bench.

    "Do you have a question pet?" I ask Kierra knowing she would.

    "Who is that lady?" She kept her eyes forward.

    "Guen, she is an old family friend of mine. We grew up together, so we call each other cousins. I helped her through a lot as a kid. Her parents weren't always the best."

    "There's bad vampire parents?" She scrunched her face.

   "Yes, let's leave it at that." We were silent for the rest of the wait.

    When Guen came back she had her pet, a tall handsome looking Male. He seemed at ease and hardly looked malnourished. She must like this one.

   "Your pet looks extremely good. You take care of him well." I smile as she loops her arm through mine.

   "Well, I learned from the best." She winks at me and giggles.

   "I wouldn't consider me the best. But, I will gladly take the compliment." We head out and the night is warm and breezy.

   "Can we go to the square? The people would love to see you, and the market is there too! I want to get Austin a new collar, his is so old and last season." Guen asked.

   "Sure, maybe there will be something for Kierra." We head towards the square and the closer we get the more people there are.

   It takes longer than I thought, but soon I was getting recognized. Once vendors knew I was around it was worse. They called out to me to make their sales pitches, they would run up and hold their finest clothes, fabrics, jewelry, and more. None of it interested me.

   Guen on the other hand loved it. She kept looking at the jewelry and trinkets. Once we got to the pet side of the market she was even more excited. She went to every stand.

   "I'll meet you in a bit, I'm going to walk around for a while," I tell her as she decides on what kind of leash and collar went well together.

   "Ok, see ya." She didn't even look up.

   I walk away from the crowded area and head to a small side shop. It had ornaments and simple things in it. I open the door and we walk in.

   "Well, at least the vendors are going to sleep well tonight. I swear Guen is going to buy one thing from them all." I laugh and Kierra giggles.

   "She is very energetic Master. And nice." She gazed at the items around her.

   "Indeed. Now, why don't we look for something to occupy your time while I'm doing work." We go through the store and the cashier is a human girl. She smiles as we pass.

   "What is this?" Kierra holds up a square that has multiple colors on it.

   "A puzzle cube. It's to work your mind. It might help you out." I take the cube and we keep looking.

   I see a small book in the corner and go to it. It's a dot-to-dot book. This would be good too. I grab it and turn to see Kierra looking at a small glass dove with a red rose in its mouth.

   "Do you like it?" I go and stand beside her.

    "It's very pretty." She smiled as she said it. I nodded and took it off the shelf.

    "Let's go. We need to head back soon and get ready for dinner." I go up to the counter and the young girl checks us out. She smiles at me but doesn't talk.

   Kierra takes our bags and we head out to the square again. Guen has a crowd around her as she sings and dances to some side street musician.

   "Always with the theatrics." I walk up to her pet who is standing off to the side. "Watch her." He nods and I go get Guen.