Ch. 11

Kierra's POV

After the barrage of questions from Nathan, he closes the folder and looks at Damian. "Well, all set here, just make sure to get her to the doctor for her check-ups and shots. She is going to need them. Amazingly, she's lasted this long, but from what I can tell she has a good metabolism."

Damian nodded and went to open the door. "Thank you. If I have time today I'll stop by the doctor. Maybe even stop by the shop." He smirked as his friend punched him in the arm.

"Na, seeing your mug once is enough in my opinion." They laughed and soon Nate was gone.

Damian turned towards me and smiled. "See, that wasn't so bad. Now I need to leave for a few meetings. You'll be on your own. Don't leave the room unless you want to end up another vampire's meal." He grabbed his papers from the desk and hurriedly got ready to leave.

"All day? What about food? And what if someone tries to come in?" My voice gives away my concerns.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it. Food will be brought at lunch, and no one can get in unless you let them." He didn't look at me when he answered.

He went to the door and turned the nob looking back at me. "Just... keep occupied." He opened the door and walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Damian's POV

I leave and make sure the door shuts behind me. I take in a deep breath and head off to my meetings. So tasking having my family name, but it has to be done.

I walk outside and head to the shipping office. I had gathered all my notes and charts for my grandfather to see. Now I needed to send them off and wait. I get inside and drop them off. Staying just long enough to chat with the elderly lady there that had grown quite fond of me.

Down the street, I was supposed to make a public speech about human treatment in public. We had many recent incidences with pets or slaves being killed in the streets. It wasn't a good image for the city.

I get there about 5 minutes before I need to speak. The Mayor of this city was already up there getting ready to introduce me. A lovely young blonde comes and straightens my tie and fluffs my hair. Smiling at her she nods and hurries away. I hear my intro and proceed to the stage.

20 minutes later I'm walking again. The speech had set me behind at least 5 minutes. Vampires were questioning everything I said. It was frustrating.

The blood palace was nearing. It was a restaurant of the finest tasting blood. I go in and the owner greets me. I despise this man. He gets humans fat and drains them of their blood. It's hard to supply the constant need. And with the human population dwindling he isn't helping any causes.

We take a picture and shake hands. He gives me a sample of his finest blood and I nod. It is sweet, with a hint of cinnamon apple in it. It was good. I say my thanks and start across town to my next destination. Most of my day went that same way. Go say a speech, take some pictures, talk to figureheads in the area. And sample blood.

By the time 1 a.m. hit I was exhausted. I had 3 hours before dawn and at least an hour and a half drive back to the palace. I wondered how my pet was doing. She seemed like she would be fine. I just hope she didn't try to run.

The battle of hunting her down would be too much and I'd snap on her. I approached the door and paused before I opened it. I listened for any kind of movement inside.

I heard the steady thrum of a heartbeat. Good, she's in there. I open the door and walk into the room. Kierra is slumped over the coffee table with several papers strewn about. She was sleeping peacefully. I chuckle to myself and go over to lift her. She whines in her sleep but doesn't do much else. I gently take her to the bed and tuck her in. Then go and tidy up the papers.

They were drawings. Of.. me? She drew me with my shirt off and I had to say, it wasn't half bad. She had an eye. But I could also tell she wasn't used to drawing. She had a lot of eraser marks and some lines were waving just a bit. Like she wasn't confident in her work.

I should get her some better supplies. Maybe she could grow her gift. I freeze at my sudden thought. She's a human, my pet, and I'm thinking of buying her art supplies? She was starting to affect me. And she's only been here 2 days!

I look over at her and watch as she curls up with a small smile on her relaxed face. She looked so innocent and sweet. I finish up with the papers and go slide into bed.

She stirs as I try to get comfortable but doesn't wake. I thought back on the 2 days she's been here. I was so upfront and knew how I was going to handle her. But now... I don't want to punish her at all if anything I want to protect her. Just like I did when Sheryl was here.

Groaning in frustration and turn off the lamp beside me. She was a human.. and I was a vampire. Tomorrow I would start treating her as such. If I can't handle this simple human then what would that lead to in the future? Vampires would laugh and call me weak. That was something I refused to let happen. With that thought, I closed my eyes and fell asleep.