Ch. 26

Damian's POV

I stare at her as she studies me. " Damian, I know you want to kill me right now... but there may be one thing I can say that will change your mind."

"Doubtful, but you have my attention." I fold my arms over my chest and wait.

"I loved him... and if you recall he was the only pet I kept the longest. A whole year." She added softly.

"Until you killed him." I spat out, how was I supposed to believe her?!

"You're the air to the throne... you can have an advantage, but what about a vampire-like me? How was I supposed to get him past the count? And if it was an overcount?! Don't go jumping to conclusions.." she was agitated.

I guess I could understand, I mean I was even having trouble processing what I needed to do, I couldn't imagine how she would feel.

"Just... tell me this." She paused and stood up. Then walking in front of me she looked up into my eyes. "Do you love her? I mean.. love her? The kind of love that you would be willing to die for, the kind that when you see her she the only thought that fills your mind. The kind that when you touch a spark shoots through your whole body. The kind that maybe... you would make her one of us?"

I stand there shocked by her words. She was being genuine and truthful. Tears have even started to form. "I'm willing to do anything to keep her alive and human." I began. "Turning her would break her. And I don't know if she would survive the transition."

"She a witch, a supernatural, she will survive. I think you are just scared that maybe she doesn't feel the same." Sheryl started for the door after placing the papers in my hand. "My advice.. have a nice long talk with her about how you feel. But let her tell you how she feels as well." With that, she walks out the door and closes it behind her.

It's times like these where I wish she would always act like this. Not the raging bitch people see her as. She did care about things, she just didn't show it very often.

I look at the DNA results and sure enough, they were sisters, not cousins. I place the paperwork inside my desk and head out the door. I had everything for my trip, now I needed to figure out what to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kierra's POV

When Damian left, I and Serina began cleaning the shop. Nathan told us to keep our collars on until we got to his house. We tidied up and helped make sure the other pets had eaten. We had to take any food that wasn't eaten though.

I walked along my side and got many glares and hateful words. But I didn't listen to it. I knew I was lucky, but I didn't rub it in either. I came to a cage with a smaller girl in it. She had barely even touched her food.

"Aren't you hungry? I need to get all the food from the cages but you barely ate." I frown and she just scoffs.

"This one is being difficult. Her name is Brittney. Don't worry though, I'll deal with her tomorrow." Nathan comes up behind me and opens the door. He takes the food and urged me to move on. He closes it and goes about retrieving more unfinished food and taking notes on the clipboards hanging from the cages.

I get to the last cage and see no food. So I grab the plate and put it on the bottom of the pile. The human inside looks at me with big shining eyes. He's cleaner than the others but looks severely underweight.

He eyes the food I have piled on top. It's all the leftovers and I hear a growl. He holds his stomach and blushes. I smile knowingly. I look back and Serina is talking to another pet, an older looking girl around my age. She's smiling nicely and laughing. Nathan is occupied writing on a clipboard and muttering to himself.

I open the door a little bit and place the food in. The boy stares wide-eyed at me and goes in to devour it. I smile knowing this must seem like paradise to him even though he's been captured.

"And why did you give him more food..." I jump as Nathan growls in my ear.

"He.. i.. his stomach growled. I know what it's like to be hungry so I gave him the leftovers. And he looks really thin so... I just thought." I trail off as I see Nathan's eyes begin to glow red with anger.

"I asked you to remove the food from the cages, making sure the plates were out and nothing left. NOT to put food IN the cages!" He raised his voice and I cringed.

"I'm sorry! I just... I thought you'd want to have your pets healthy. I didn't know it was going to cause this reaction..." I look down and everything in the room was silent. Even the boy had stopped eating.

Nathan sighed and I look up, his eyes weren't glowing anymore. But he still looked mad. "I know... just ask next time ok." He gave a smile and patted my head. "Take the food out."

I nodded and opened the cage. The boy had already pushed the plate to me and I noticed he had a handful he was trying to hide. I smile sadly and take the plate. When I shut the door he went to take a bite but I shook my head. He nodded and leaned against the back.

Walking to the side room where the mini kitchen was, I dump the food and place the dishes in the sink water. Then I scrub them until they are clean.

"He may seem scary when he gets mad but I've noticed if you just tell the truth he calms down a bit." Serina walks in and places a few more dishes in the sink.

"Yeah, well he captured us so we know exactly how scary he can be." We both giggle and she goes to rinse the dishes.

Me and my cousin... I still couldn't believe it. I still had my family.