Ch. 17

Kierra's POV

   I was so happy as we left the shop. Serina would be fine as long as she listened to Nathan. I didn't like him at first but I had to admit, he was growing on me. He had a hard exterior but he was a softy on the inside. Even with his bad side. Luckily I don't think I've seen Damian's bad side yet.

    The streets are quiet as we walked back to the castle. I found it odd that the vampires weren't out. I heard stories all the time of how they roamed the streets.

    "We do have our lives you know, not everything we do involves hunting and feeding on humans." Damian gave me a half-smile as he glanced at me.

    "Did you just? I didn't say.. did you read my mind?!" I stop in my tracks and stare at him wide-eyed.

   "No, it wasn't hard to guess what you were thinking. Your so easy to read it's kinda cute." He continued but I stayed in place. Unable to move.

   "If you want to be taken by another vampire standing there is a good start," Damian said as he looked over his shoulder.

    That made me move. I hurried to his side and anxiously looked around. Damian rolled his eyes and frowned at me.

   "Kierra, no one is going to touch you without my permission or yours. I am not going to let another vampire take you. I'll rip out their throats.. and no one would dare take the future king's pet. Unless they have a death wish that is." He held out his hand for me to take and I did tentatively.

   I didn't have much to say to his statements. As I took his hand he grabbed me bridal style in his arms. I squeaked and tucked myself in him. I don't think I'll ever get used to this.

   Damian let out a low moan and I looked up slightly. "If you keep squeaking like that and being cute I don't think I can control my actions." He grinned cheekily and I scowled.

   "Can we just go back? I'm starting to get hungry." I hide the fact that his words send butterflies through my stomach.

    We get back and head to his room. When we get there we see a slave getting ready to knock.

   "And what is it you need?" Damian asked in a firm and commanding voice. The slave jumped and bowed as Damian set me down.

   "My lord. I have urgent news to give you. Your father and grandfather are coming to the city to see how well you are running it. They will be here in a day." He stood up and fear was evident in his eyes.

   A feral growl escaped Damian's lips and it sent fear straight through my bones. The slave and I jumped as he punched the wall. The slave smartly tried to get past him but Damian didn't seem to be through with him. He grabbed the boys arm and pulled him to the wall.

   "And when exactly did this little piece of information hit your ears? Hmm?" He stared into the boys' eyes and I could see him shaking. Or maybe that was me. I couldn't tell.

    "Sir, it came to my attention about 20 minutes ago. I was told to finish my current errand before alerting you." His voice shook and my knees felt weaker watching all this.

   "Who is your owner? Who is in charge here?" He growled and the boy shrieked in fear and pain as Damian's grip tightened.

    "My owner is Mr. Cedubile sir. He is in charge of us slaves. Mr. Montigus is in charge of the whole castle." He kept his head down but I could see a tear fall to the floor.

    I need to do something but what? I couldn't exactly pull Damian off the poor salve boy. But maybe I could talk to him.

   "Damian, you're hurting him. Please, calm down. Remember what we were doing? We were going to get some food, and spend the evening together." I reached out a hand but cried as it was slapped away.

   "I don't need this right now you need to go in the room.." he quickly unlocked the door and shoved me inside.

   He was so forceful that I fell on the floor with a thud. The door slammed behind me. Tears welled up as I stood, I didn't know what to do so I went and sat on the couch.

   I don't know how long I sat there, all I know is I felt like ice coursed through my veins when I heard the door open.

   "Pet! Come here..." Damian stormed to his desk and not wanting to give him any reason to take his anger out on me I run to be by his side. He grabs me by my waist and lifts me into his lap. Then he started to pet me. Literally. His hands stroked my head and he ran his fingers through my hair, it was soft thanks to Serina brushing it at the shop.

    He did this for a while and then sighed. I couldn't tell if he was better or not because I was too afraid to look up. Then he started to talk, but it was more to himself than to me.

   "A days notice... who gives such a small window to announce their arrival?! I suppose it's better than them just showing up... but still, a day! I don't even know what they want. It cant be to just see how the city is doing. I tell everything in my reports. Grandfather and father both need to believe I'm just as strict as them... but how can I do that! The slaves here are scared of me yeah, but the citizens... I can't control their actions." He growled in frustration and I kept my head down. I didn't even dare make a sound.

    "Maybe Nathan could let me have a few pets for the duration of their visit. Only having one won't satisfy them.. maybe if I borrow that redhead I saw earlier? Yeah, she looked exotic. Maybe that would suffice." He went back to petting me only this time it was shorter. When he stopped he turned me around and scooped me up.