Ch. 14

Damian's POV

    Nathan spoke with a calm tone that I found shocking. "Well, the way I see it is that you love her. And she brings out a side of you that you kept buried away for years. I think you need to accept that fact and tell her the truth." He went back to cleaning and I just stared at him.

    "Nate... it's taboo. Not only would she get killed, but my status would be revoked. My bloodline would be tainted for generations!" I was shocked that he even suggested I accept it. As much as I wanted to... I had too much at stake.

   "So change her. It's not hard, and with her fighting spirit and being a rogue. She may survive." He stocked the shelves and I looked at him stunned.

   "Have you lost your mind?! This coming from a pet store owner... I thought you'd have more common sense!" The words flew from my mouth and I regretted them. My friend had his fair share of heartache before. And I just threw it in his face.

   He turned to me with a hard expression. "Yes... I do have common sense. The first time I fell in love it was a human. She was the most amazing girl I had ever met. Even to this day... and she died by my hand at the blood ceremony." His eyes darkened.

  "Nate... I didn't mean to bring Zoe into this, I just.." I didn't get to finish before he interrupted.

   "You just what? Thought about yourself first like you always do? Like your status makes you entitled to not think before you speak? Just like now how you came over to talk and ask for what? Help! I gave you my opinion, .....you choose to follow it or not. But speaking from experience you won't. And that's why she will die. You will kill her Damian.." he spat the words out and a barely audible gasp was heard.

   Both of us turned and Kierra was staring at me in pure fear. "Kierra! He didn't mean it like that!" I reach out but was thrown back by an unseen force.

   Once I regained some composure I see Kierra and the girl running out of the shop. I reach up to grab something but I felt heavy. I look over and Nate seemed to be in the same state as me.

   "The witch." That was all he said as he struggled to stand. The girls were both in danger now and with us immobilized who knew what would happen.

   "How long till this wears off? We need to find them before they get into trouble." I found it easier not to struggle but to move very slowly. It didn't help that much but at least the pressure was bearable.

   "Who knows, she's a new witch that just found her powers. She can't control them yet which makes her very dangerous. We could be here another minute or another hour, years down the line.." he was growing impatient. I couldn't tell if it was because of me or the situation.

   "Nate... I'm sorry if I've been a crappy friend. The truth is your, my only friend. Everyone else just wants to be around me for my status and money. You, you got to know me. And I'm sorry for not saying this until now. But.. I appreciate you." I watch him as he pauses and looks at me. Then he sighs.

   "Don't go soft on me now you jackass. Save that for your girl you let getaway." He smirked and suddenly the weight lifted. We both stretched and regained balance after the struggle of the spell.

   "Let's go. I'll buy dinner when this is all done." I smile as he grins.

   "Damn right you will." He zipped out the door and I followed on him heals.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kierra's POV

   We run as fast as we can. I hadn't seen Serina in so long and now she has powers! We ran down the alleyways towards our old home. I knew exactly where we were going. It surprised me that I didn't see many people out though. That made it easier for us.

   We make it close to the outskirts and duck behind some shrubs. "It's all open from here, what do we do?" Serina tugs at my arm and I'm pulled back to the last time I saw her. We were running from a gang in the outskirts. Serina was a cute young girl, easy to scare into doing any disgusting thing they wanted.

   I had shoved her down an alleyway and told her to hide while I led them away. It worked, they didn't find her but they had caught up to me. The outcome wasn't one I wanted to relive.

   "Ok, here's what we are going to do. When I say so we both are going to run as fast as we can to the hideout. And no matter what I don't want you to stop ok. Of anything happens just keep running." I make her look at me and she pouts.

   "No... I can defend us now. I want to help!" She started to tear up and I sigh. We didn't have time for this.

   "Just please trust me. If you do feel like you can help without getting hurt then do it. But you will listen to me when I do tell you to run. Got it?" My voice was firm. She was about 14 from what she remembers and she acted like a complete child at times. I forgot how much I missed her.

   Serina nodded and grinned wildly. I look out at every possible area to see if anyone was there. I didn't see anyone. And it was almost a straight shot to the hideout. I look at Serina and nod.

   We both dart out and run as fast as we can. For us, this was just like the old times. I laughed as we ran. It felt so good to be free! No bipolar vampires, no being fed from, no Damian and his alluring arms and body wrapped around me, no bed, no food... my thoughts started to betray me. Maybe this wasn't a good idea.

   I slowed down not out of exhaustion, but uncertainty. Serina was now gaining a bit of a lead and she looked back at me before she screamed. A split second later I felt arms around my waist and a rush of air. We were soon back in the shop.

   A cry came out and I looked over to see Serina pressed against the wall.