Ch. 5

Kierra's POV

    I opened up the chest and it was filled to the brim with old raggedy clothes. I sighed and started taking them out and put on the first pair of shorts and shirt I saw. Then I started to look through and sort them. I had a pile of clothes that looked a bit better than the others as well. Depending on how much there was I might wear them more often.

   After I finished up the clothes there were other sorts of things at the bottom. I found an old hairbrush that looked like it should have been tossed a long time ago. Some round things that I didn't know what the use was for. They were stretchy and came in different colors. Curious I grabbed a few and went over to Damian.

   He seemed focused on his work so I just stood there waiting. After about 5 minutes I started to rock back and forth on my heels. And after 10 minutes I was swaying and playing with the things in my hand. It seemed to annoy him because he snapped at me.

    "What do you want?!" He growled and I jumped. I didn't know what to say so I just held out the items. He looked at them annoyed and glared at me. "What..."

   I cleared my throat so I wouldn't sound as scared as I was and lifted one of the items. "What are these?" I asked him and his annoyance seemed to lessen.

   "It's a hair tie.. here, let me show you." He leaned forward and took the hair tie. Then motioned for me to turn around.

   "What are you going to do with it?" I wasn't sure I liked where this was going and I didn't want to turn my back to a vampire.

    "Just do as I say.. turn around, he reaches out and grabs me to spin me around. I cringe and he starts messing with my hair. Then let's go. I can feel he put it up.

   I reach up to feel it and it's in a bun shape. It's not tight but it's not too loose so my hair falls. I turn and smile. "That's so cool! What else can it do?!" My excitement makes him crack a smile.

   "That's what its purpose is. Now go before you irritate me." He waves me off and I oblige. I take my stash of newfound hair ties and make it into a pile. Then I continue on my sorting. I pull out ribbons of different colors and wrinkle my nose. Bows were very few and far between to find but I had seen some city people put them on their young daughters. It never seemed to interest me.

   I get to the last few items and it looks like they were older than the vampire that had them. I ended up tossing the rest of the contents into the trash and went to find something to clean the chest with. I wondered into a bathroom and found a few rags and cleaners. I walk out with them and notice Damian glance up from his work.

   Ignoring him I continue to pour some cleaner in the chest and use the rag to wipe it out and around. I scrub at a few places and pour more in as needed. After about 5 minutes I'm satisfied knowing it's as clean as I can make it. So I push the supplies to the side and start to put in my items. The most torn up clothes in the bottom and the ones with a few rips and holes next. I did manage to find 2 shorts that barely looked worn and a shirt that only had 2 rips in it. I laid those on top, then I picked up the brush and studied it.

   The thing was nasty. I should toss it but I didn't know when I would get another one. Then I heard Damian speak up.

   "I can have a new one delivered. Along with 3 new shirts and a pair of shorts. Most of those clothes are older than you." He turned back and I tossed the brush.

   I didn't doubt what he said, the clothes looked bad. And I was kind of excited to get new ones. I've never been given anything before.

   A knock came from the door and Damian sighed as he looked up from the desk. He stood and motioned me to move to the couch. I obeyed but turned so I could see who it was.

   He opened the door and immediately a blonde with a red cocktail dress and high heels to match stormed in. She looked mad and if she wasn't so beautiful it would have made her look bad.

   "Damian! How could you just leave me like that! We planned this dinner for months! And now you want to cancel?!" She huffs and briefly looks at me. I turn and look down remembering one of the rules. Not that I cared but with this one it seemed necessary.

   "Hello Sheryll, yes you may come in. You're looking lovely this evening. I'm sorry I had to cancel our plans but I recently purchased a pet and I'm making sure she eats and gets used to her surroundings." He kept a calm voice that sent chills down my spine. It was eerily calm.

   "So a pet is more important than I am?!" She was fuming. Then before I know it she is behind me yanking my hair causing the bun to loosen. She entangled her fingers and it felt like she was going to rip my hair out.

   Damian instantly snapped into action. He took 1 step and was right next to us. He grabbed the woman's neck with one hand and her arm in another. A feral growl escaped his lips and he glared at her.

    "Let her go.." he said in a slow demanding voice. The woman sneered but released my hair. As soon as she did he flung her to the door. "I assume since you let yourself in you know the way out." He motioned her away in a dismissive wave of his hand.

    "You weren't that cute anyway Bloodstone.." she scoffed and turned on her heel out the door. It clicked shut and Damian looked at me.

   "Are you ok? She had a good grip on you." He took his hand and ran it through my hair. I flinch and he freezes.

   "It's just soar, it will go away soon." I fidget with my hands and try not to look at him.

    "Hmmm. If you say so." He stepped back and looked at me, then returned to his desk. Continuing his work, more focused than before.

   I decide to go back to my chest. I stare at it for a while and rearrange some clothes. Then tucked it beside the cage I go to look around the room.