Ch. 15

Nathan's POV

Recap

    My mood was shitty when Damian called. I didn't take it out on him though, it wasn't his fault there was a witch in my store. I answered and tried to be quick. Dodging and catching what I could as she threw things all over.

    Hanging up I chased the little demon to the back, grateful she didn't do much damage in the pet room. The storage room wasn't the best either but I could manage it. After a few minutes of fighting her off, I heard Damian enter.

    He helped me with her and then we started cleaning. Then he irritated the shit out of me and brought up my past. Zoe. The love of my life was taken from me along with my unborn child. That part no one knew, not even Damian. But for me and Zoe.. we knew. And I couldn't do the one thing I had ever promised her. I couldn't keep her safe.

   So now we come to this, weighed down by the witches' magic, and suddenly D is pouring his heart out. It's a good apology I admit, but we have more pressing matters to deal with.

   The weight is lifted and we rush out to find the girls. Their scent was still strong so it wasn't hard to find them. We stopped and watched as they hid behind some shrubbery. It was funny, but as I take a step forward Damian holds out an arm.

   "Wait.. they are planning to run. We will catch them halfway there. It'll be a small punishment knowing they were so close, but not quite there." He doesn't look at me but stays focused on the 2. Or more on his beloved pet.

   I roll my eyes but don't protest. I couldn't do much to his pet, but I knew when I got my hands on that girl she would be begging for mercy and calling me her master... my temper boiled.

   They finally make a run for it and we watch. "Head back to the shop as soon as you got here." I get into a stance and tell Damian my thoughts.

   "Got it." He gets ready too and I feel like it's the old times again. Back when we would go hunt for pets together. When my shop just started up.

    We dart and catch the girls instantly. Mine screams before I get her as she sees us come. I scoop her up and tuck her head so the wind doesn't hit her and suffocate her. Not that I would care, but that would be too quick of a death.

End of recap

   I enter the shop and Damian's on my heals. I throw the girl against the wall and pin her there. I hear the breath escape her lips and she struggles to breathe. Good.. she needs to be punished. My fangs spring out and I am about to attack when a shout is heard from Kierra.

   "Nooo!!! Please don't hurt her!" Her voice was full of fear. Not for her though, but her friend.

   I turn towards her my fangs still out. "Damian... control your pet. I need to discipline this one." I nod to the girl and look at my friend lazily.

   "Her name is Serina! Please don't hurt her I promised to protect her!" She rips away from Damian and runs over to me. Trying to yank my arm away she keeps repeating herself.

   "Let her go! Let her go! Don't hurt her!" I watch her and look at Damian who is walking up to us with a sad expression.

   "I'm sorry.. here." He easily takes her and she struggles. Tears streaming down her face.

   "Nathan... I promised to protect her. Please, show mercy." She whispered and something in me broke. I don't know why but I felt sorry for her. She was just like me. I promised to protect my Zoe. And I failed.

   "Don't make promises you can't keep," I tell her. I hide the sadness in my voice and turn to Serina. I open my mouth and move her head to the side. She was still struggling for a breath and a tear spilled down the side of her face. She was staying at me with wide eyes in fear.

   Good, she would remember this. I go to bite down but I stop. I'm not sure why, I just do. I sigh and drop the girl. "Remember this fear young one.. and as for you." I look over at Kierra. "Don't get the wrong idea about this. I still can change my mind."

   She nods fervently and has a huge grin plastered to her face. Great, now she thinks I'm a softy. Well, maybe I am but I still don't like being disobeyed.

   I take Serina over to the desk and make her sit in the chair. Then I take a collar out and sigh. I don't know why I'm doing this but it may help deal with her. I put the collar on and it has my symbol on it. An N with a single rose in it.

   "Here's the deal, you will be my pet and help keep the shop clean and tend to customers. You will also help keep the other pets calm and cared for. In turn, you can see Kierra anytime her master says it's ok. Deal?" I look at her waiting for a response.

   Her eyes widen and she grins looking at Kierra. She nods quickly without a second thought.

   "Yes! If I can see Kiki I'll be your pet." She was beaming with happiness. I nodded and motioned around the shop.

   "Get started then. I'll go get dinner ready." She jumped up and started to clean. Damian came over to me and raised an eyebrow.

   "Isn't that the same collar you had for Zoe? And you haven't had a pet since her either. Are you sure?" His concern was genuine.

   "I'm sure... it's just.. going to take a while." I smile as best as I can and motion towards the girls. "It will be easier to deal with her knowing she can see  Kierra."