The Fire Triangle, A Zootopia Fanfiction -- Part One: Fuel - 81

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-----------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle—A Zootopia Fanfiction

-----------------------------------------------------

Part One:

Fuel

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9 –Fire And Mirrors
(Continued...Pt. 8)

If there was one thing you had to give Vernon J. Rodenberg, Attorney at Law, it was that this rodent was not one for wasting time.  The door to Interrogation Room #1 door wasn't even halfway open before he leaped to the attack.

"Well Mr. Prosecutor, I lost 'The Bet' with myself...again." He glowered upwards at Rudy Gamsbart, paws placed indignantly on his hips, "you really CAN sink lower than last time."

"May I at least be permitted to sit down before the circus starts?" the chamois asked him, refusing to take the bait; Rodenberg countered by pretending not to hear.

"You're sooo quick to charge this boy with assaulting a police officer—but let him save the life of another cop, and that's not even worth an official thank-you."

"I thanked him!" Judy Hopps protested, crowding hurriedly past Nick. The grey-furred rodent's last words had been an out-and-out lie and she wasn't going to let him get away with it.

He only gave her a pitying look, "I meant an official show of gratitude, Officer Hopps...from the ZPD, like the official charges you were so eager to file against my client. He spoke the word 'official' in such a way that it exposed the full length of his incisors.

"Seriously, then?" the deep voice of Chief Bogo rumbled from the doorway, where he had just entered, "Officer Hopps shouldn't have needed savin' in the first place, if your client hadn't led her into that particular alley."

What happened next, made Conor Lewis's ears stand up and point at each other. What the...? From the top of his right shoulder he heard a tiny grating noise, Vern Rodenberg's front teeth honing against one another. He knew that sound; it was the same thing his rat-buddy Mike Daehan did, when he spotted a particularly succulent morsel of food. Wha...? Wasn't this the subject his attorney had told him to avoid like the plague mere moments ago,? And what about that look on that yakweed Rudy Gamsbart's face? He couldn't have been saying 'I'm surrounded by idiots!' more clearly if he'd been shouting it at the top of his lungs.

What the heck was going on here? Agggh, grrrr, no use in asking...he wouldn't find out for a week at least, if then.

In actual fact, it took all of three seconds for the young silver fox to start getting his answers.

"Well, since you brought it up, Chief." Vern Rodenberg said, in an almost genial tone of voice, "Why was Officer Hopps attempting to track my client through that alley in the first place?"

Judy started to answer, but a voice from the tabletop beat her to it.

"Quit trying to muddy the waters, Rodenberg," Albert Tufts chittered, sneering upwards at the rat perched on Conor Lewis's shoulder, "You know perfectly well why. Your client was transporting cash for an illegal lender."