Iron Winter: Part 1

I don't know. I'm testing out titles. What do you think?

I was asked to right this. I hope you all enjoy. Thank you :)

-------------------------------------

Steve lay there with tony in his arms. It had been a long day, and he didn't feel like sleeping. I fact he never felt like sleeping when he was with tony. He'd stay awake for hours watching the brunette sleeping in his arms. Steve would pull tony in close when sleep would finally take over. Tony never understood why, but to Steve tony was his life line.

---

When Steve got to terms with being in the 21st century was also the time that Steve and tony started their relationship. Both men were broken, and together both men fit like two pieces of a puzzle. They were ever much in love. Both men made it out even after all the fighting during the Battle of Manhattan, and even when Steve was at deaths door in the Battle of New York.

---

Tony woke up with his face in Steve's chest. It made him smile.

"Steve, you awake?" Asked tony.

Steve kissed the top of Tony's head, "ya. You were shaking and mumbling in your sleep again. are you ok?"

Tony buried himself into Steve, "It's been 2 years Steve. I still have nightmares. How are you so strong?"

Steve tightened his grip around tony, "because if I fell apart then there would be more chaos. This team looks at me to be a leader. I'm strong so you all can grieve about what ever happens. I'm strong for you because I need to. We all have our demons, mine just don't matter right now."Steve kissed tony as the brunette looked up to him.

"What haunts you at night Cap?"

"My best friend. New York. Times when I'm not with you."

Tony moved his hand and placed it on Steve's faces, "thank you."

Steve pulled tony closer to him, "always."

The two kissed then got up and got ready for the day.

--- two days later / SHIELD ---

Steve and tony walked into one of the few remaining SHIELD bases with the other avengers. An agent had taken then to the directors office. Natasha took the chair while the boys stood. When director Coulson walked in they all went speechless.

"What sort of magic is this?" asked thor.

"Not magic," Coulson sat at his chair, "science. The former director brought me back. After he died I took over."

"I still can't believe SHIELD is gone," said tony.

Coulson looked at tony, "is it that or are you still having trouble believing that former Agent Hill works for you."

"You're probably right," tony placed his hands behind his head, "so what are we doing here?"

"We, well I needed you Mr. Stark."

"Why me?"

"We've been having trouble getting something and I thought that you could show up to this event and help us get it."

"So you want the money?"

"No, I want the charm," Coulson looked at Steve, "Steve, you will be getting the item."

"What if they refuse?" asked Bruce.

"Dr. Banner it's completely up to them. We need your help. I thought I'd ask personally."

"I'm in," said Steve.

Coulson looked to steve, "thank you captain."

"Alright. What's the worst that can happen?" tony stood up then looked at Steve , "I've been sober for almost a year now Steve. Everything will be fine."

--- mission ---

Steve and tony checked into their hotel. There mission was to apprehend the miracle painting. Steve and Tony demanded to know everything even though Coulson was persistent on trying to keep the mission and everything a secret. Coulson said it was compartmentalizing. No one could get in trouble if no one knew the while truth.

---

Later that night Steve and tony walked into the home of another wealthy billionaire. They went to mingle and blend into the party, well tony went to blend. Steve quickly scooped the area then found his entry into the lower levels. Tony slowly, but surely, followed.

The two managed to gain access to the lower levels and retrieve the painting. They set off a few alarms on the way but that didn't matter. Steve took out the guards as they exited the home and got I tot here viechel.

--- rode to air base ---

Tony just finished crawling into the front seat after securing the painting into the case.

"Why did Coulson need us?"

"Don't question it tony."

"Why?" tony looked from Steve to the road to see several Hydra soldiers in the along with the winter soldier.

Steve said, "that's why!"

"Is that?"

The soldiers started to shoot.

"Damn," Steve started to go off rode then yelled, "hang on!"