22. Mr. & Mrs. Malik

After our intense conversation, Zayn and I quickly run to our class. Ms. Boonstra’s class. We storm into the classroom, just merely on time. I can see the pure hatred in her eyes as she stares at us. She probably wished we were too late, so she could give us detention. Sadly for her, she can’t.

We sit down at our places and I’m holding Zayn’s hand under the table. I know Ms. Boonstra’s rules, she will never allow any form of intimacy.

I’m still a bit overwhelmed with everything that just happened, but mainly I’m relieved. As much as my mind goes crazy with different thoughts and I feel so many mixed emotions, I also feel so happy and in love.

We’ve only ‘broken up’ for two days, but it was extremely intense so it feels like more. I know things have to change, but this time I want to take that step. I want this relationship to go somewhere so it’s not just Zayn and me in my bedroom. I want it to be more than that, even though I’m scared shitless.

“In less than two months the final exams begin. If you prepare wisely, you should not have any problems with the exams.” Ms. Boonstra says with a strict tone. Suddenly she looks at me. “Some of you don’t see the need to study, which will have consequences. Not that I care.”

Internally I roll my eyes. She is such a bitch! I hate her for saying it and basically directing it to me. But it also makes me nervous, because as much as I hate that bitch, she is right. I’m so wrapped up with other things like my mum, Nialler, Zayn and Hazza… I always ‘forget’ to make my homework or study. What if I won’t make it? That would mean I have to be in this hell hole for another year! I can’t have that. I need to make it! I need to make it so that I finally can get away from this awful place. And, I really want my summer vacation. I really need my vacation. Just imagining my vacation makes me smile, it sounds so wonderful to my ears. As if you are saved from evil, which you are in a way. Especially if you have Ms. Boonstra as a teacher. Fortunately she is often absent because of her ‘mental state’.

“Okay, open your books at page 79 and read the first three paragraphs.”

I open my book at a random page just so I can pretend I’m reading. Meanwhile my mind is everywhere except with school.

Suddenly Zayn’s breath is tickling my ear. I suppress a chuckle.

“I want you to meet my family.” He whispers.

I quickly turn my head, my eyes wide. “What?!”

“I want you to meet them and I want them to meet you.”

A grin appears on my face. “I would love that.” I quietly reply. Holy fuck! I wanted things to change, but this is not just a step this is huge!

“But I…” He begins unsure. “I want them to meet you as my friend. For now okay?” I can see the uncertainty in his eyes as he says that.  I feel for him. He is really trying and that is enough for me.

I nod and agree. “Okay.”

Zayn seems to physically relax from my simple agreement. I don’t expect Zayn to suddenly run inside the mosque and scream from the top of his lungs that he is in a relationship with a boy. An English boy. That would be interesting though.

No, we have to take it slow and I want that. I want to see what happens and then, then I might feel brave enough to tell Hazza.

“My mother will be so happy, she absolutely adores you.” I say with a playful smile on my face.

Zayn grins back, all the tension and turmoil seems to be vanished. “Oh so your mother huh? You aren’t happy?”

I shake my head. “Of course not, I hate this so fucking much.” I say as I grin like a moron.