2. First week of school

In utter exhaustion I answer the phone without looking who is calling.

“Hey,” I answer with a loud yawn. I have barely slept tonight, because I was worried about today. Today is the start of the new school year, and more than ever before, I absolutely hate it.

“Hey Lou,” Harry says in a warm tone.
“Hey Hazza,” I reply, smiling just by hearing his voice.

“I just wanted to wish you good luck for today!”

He is such a sweetheart. “Thank you,” I sigh. “You too of course, first day of college.”

“Thanks. I’ll be alright, what about you?” he asks with concern in his voice.

“I don’t know,” I say in all honesty. “I haven’t slept at all. I just know they are going to hate me, like always.”

“Don’t say that Lou. Just don’t immediately shut people out. And believe me, if they know you like I do, they would love you.”

I smile widely. “Thank you Haz, you always know how to make me feel better.  A bit at least.”

He hums. “I’ll be thinking of you okay?”

“Same. I’ll speak to you soon, bye Haz!”

“Bye Lou, I love you.”

“Me too,” I instantly reply.

“Uh… what was that?” he asks slightly indignant.

“I love you too Hazz,” I giggle.

“Good,” he answers satisfied. I can practically hear him smile through the phone. “Bye Lou.”

“Bye Haz.”

I hang up, feeling a little bit better.

As I walk downstairs I get greeted by my little brother Thomas. “Lou!” he yells at me. “Lou, play?”

Thomas is my adopted brother. My parents wanted to have another child but after years of attempts to conceive they gave up. They decided to adopt, which also took years because of all the procedures. But finally after almost ten years they adopted a little boy and named him Thomas. Thomas was just a few weeks old when they adopted him. He is from Nigeria. Apparently his own parents didn’t want him; how fucking cruel is that? He is now 3 years old. Or at least I think so… I really have no idea. I hate the name Thomas. It doesn’t suit him.

When I don’t answer to my little brother he pulls at my shirt. “Lou! Play!” he whines.

“No!” I hiss at him. I instantly regret taking my anxiety out on him.

“No Tom, maybe later okay?” I say, trying to sound a bit nicer although I’m still on edge. Harry helped me to calm down but that only lasted for a couple of minutes.

As I walk towards the kitchen the worry kicks in again.

“Is someone stressed?” my dad asks me.

I roll my eyes at him; you think?

I quickly grab a toast and an apple. “I’m off!” I yell as I walk away and slam the door.

I take my bike from the garage and try to put the key in the lock; failing miserably because of my trembling hands. I can’t unlock my own damn bike!

“Fuck,” I scream.

After a few attempts it finally works and I immediately drive away as fast as I can. I don’t want to be late, not on my first day of school.