38. Final chapter

This will be the LAST chapter of this story and that is so weird to say. I've invested so much of my time with this story, but it was an amazing ride.

In the beginning my story had absolutely no reads, votes and comments and it made me really unsure about my story and mostly my writing skills, but thankfully Munii (@lavenderlwt) kept me motivated to write.
And after a while more people started reading this story. Some people read a few chapters and others kept reading till the end. You guys are so amazing and wonderful! I'm so grateful to have people that (consistently) showed their support.

I want to thank everyone that read this story and mainly the people that voted on basically each chapter and left some very amazing, funny comments:

Serpicoe
Megymoo_14
hipster_mcchicken
caity24681
x_onedirection5SOS_x
ChiNguyenThiBich

And in particular I want to thank the few people that voted and commented on basically every chapter. You guys kept me so motivated to write and you made me smile with your lovely comments:

MrsTomlinson_98
NightChanges__4
1LittleSummer
TWERKoise1

If I’ve forgotten anyone, I’m so sorry! And please tell me so I can put your name in it!

And finally: hopefully you will enjoy this last chapter and I hope that this chapter does justice to this story and is a nice ending.

-----

I’m in front of Zayn’s house, index finger just an inch away from the doorbell. My hands tremble and my heart beats loudly with fear and happiness.

I slightly push my finger forward until it touches the doorbell. A soft ring echoes around the house. It’s such as soft sound that I’m not sure if they have heard it.

Anxiously I’m waiting for the door. What if his mother opens the door? Or what if his entire family is there?

I hear some movement inside and a soft cough before the door slowly opens with a cracking sound.

Zayn’s mother. Of fucking course.

“Hi,” I begin doubtfully.

“Hey Louis,” she answers kindly.

Oddly she seems very nice and pleasant. I know she doesn’t hate me, she even said so herself, but I always felt that something was off. I know she wasn’t too happy that I was ‘friends’ with Zayn. Maybe now that it’s over she feels differently?

“I just wanted to congratulate Zayn.”

She smiles. “Thank you, that’s very kind of you. I’ll get him; he is upstairs with a couple of his cousins.”

I keep waiting in the door opening, feeling confused. I’ve only been here a couple of times but standing here it feels very familiar and how weird as it may sound even nice. But it also feels like a place I don’t belong, probably because in some ways I never did. Yes I belonged with Zayn, but not with his family and not with his world.

Zayn comes to the door, together with his mother.

“Hey Louis,” he mumbles without really looking at me.

“Hi,” I reply uncomfortably, scratching my neck. I had hoped for a moment alone with Zayn, unfortunately his mother remains by the door, just a few steps away from us.

Zayn doesn’t say anything about his mother so I decide to let it go. “I just wanted to congratulate you; I already knew you would make it.”

“Thank you and I’m glad you made it too,” he responds sincerely.