Chapter 44

I took a deep breath and looked around to see my friends looking at me anxiously, before I opened the door slowly. We all entered the dark room, that had no windows whatsoever. Or at least no natural sunlight. We all took out our flashlights and looked around.

It was a mess. Old newspapers were spread around everywhere, old cans of food lay on the floor, a dirty looking and worn out mattress in the corner, empty alcohol bottles, burned out candles by the mattress, the walls covered in dirt and the tiny windows covered by trash bags to pass as curtains.

"It looks like someone has been living here recently." Ally pointed out, which we all agreed with.

"I wouldn't really call these conditions 'living', but yeah; someone has been using this room recently." Matt commented, scanning around the room in disgust.

"Let's make it quick then, before they come back." Zac told us all, and we all agreed.

I grabbed one of the empty cans and examined it with my flashlight.

"What are you doing?" Camila asked me curiously, all eyes on me now.

"These cans have an expiration date, so if it says it's eatable up until let's say 2 or 4 years or so, they were purchased recently." I explained to her but also the others, while examining the can.

"Eatable till September 2022." I confirmed, reading it off of the can.

"And the logo is from the grocery store around the corner." Normani pointed out, looking at all of us.

"Which has been here for only a few months." Zac added while examining the door with his flashlight.

"(Y/N), check this out." Zac called me over, I walked over to him while the others continued to look around.

"There's a thick layer of dust right there, but not on the doorknob on the inside. Which only confirms our hunch that this room must have been used recently." Zac informed me and spared me a serious look.

"(Y/N), could you come here for a sec?" Matt called me over, leading to Zac and I approaching him.

"Did you find anything?" I asked my little brother, while he examined the walls.

"Well, I was wondering.. We're in the basement, but there's also that cellar hatch in the backyard that leads underground to that door, right?" Matt asked the both of us, causing Zac and I to nod.

"So that got me thinking; what if whatever room is behind that door, is connected to either of these walls? And then I came across this.." Matt told us, an excited smile on his face.

We watched him knock on the right wall, then on the left, and then the one in front of us. The wall in front of us sounded hallow, while the others sounded thicker. My eyes widened and I shared a look with Zac, before looking back to an excited looking Matt.

"There's a secret room behind this wall." Zac spoke out our inner thoughts.

"Next thing we need to know is what is in that room." Lauren stepped forward, obviously having heard our conversation.

"What about who's staying here? Don't we wanna know that?" Normani asked all of us but mainly me, everyone now joining in to the conversation.

"It could be anyone. There aren't any clues around that really stand out. It could just be a homeless person or whatever." Dinah shrugged, keeping the option open.

"Maybe we could find out who is staying here by opening that other door. Let's go there." Zac announced, we all agreed and exited the creepy room and house.

A few moments later we were in front of that same weird door again.

"Guys, there's something that looks like an alarm control pad here." Normani pointed out, shining the flashlight to the wall on the left of the door.

All of us walked towards it, studying the rather new looking object. Matt lifted up the lid, and the green light coming from the number display shone right into our faces.

"You know what this means right?" Zac asked all of us, while we squinted our eyes at the light.

"There's still a power source here." I concluded receiving a nod from Zac.

"What do you guys think the code could be?" Matt asked all of us, squinting his eyes to look directly at the green numbers.

"Try 1846; the year Amarville was founded." Normani tried guessing, Matt nodding and turning to enter the code. When it was shown on the screen that it was in fact incorrect, we all groaned.

"Try 1863." I guessed out of nowhere, everyone looking at me now. Matt shrugged and filled in the password.

Correct.

Everyone looked at me confused and at the now unlocked door. I stepped forward and put my hand on the door handle.

"The year of the first deaths on this ground." I explained, but they still looked at me confused.

I turned back around and opened the door slowly, peeking inside. My eyes widened when I was met with some sort of laboratory type of room. It looked like Doctor Frankenstein's layer, but creepier of course.

One of the walls that had a desk against it, was covered in pictures of me. A map of Amarville in the middle and pictures of me atop of it, red dots coming from different locations and ending at my pictures.

"This is insane." Zac spoke up first while the rest of us were speechlessly looking at the picture covered wall.

"What the hell is all of this?" Matt asked disgusted by the fact that someone had been taking pictures of me.

"They've been following me around for a while now. Ever since I got here, look.." I said while pointing at a picture of me carrying a moving box into our home.

A picture of Camila kissing me on my cheek outside of my house with a look of shock on my face, caught my attention next. That was the day Camila told me the story about The Amarville Creek.

Next to that picture, was one of Chloe, Matt, Maggy and I in the car on the first day of school. Maggy and I were laughing while Matt was air drumming and Chloe looked at him annoyed. I heard Matt chuckle next to me, also seeing the picture.

Above it hung a picture of Lauren and Camila, sitting on my lap while feeding me fries at Charlie's Diner. A picture of me helping Normani out with the dropped water bottles. A picture of me with Dinah, playing basketball. A picture of Ally and I, sitting on the floor in the library. Even a picture of me holding open the car door for Ariana when I took her out for a date.

Just when my eyes fell on another picture, my phone started to ring. Which was weird, since we didn't seem to be having any reception down here before. I took it out of my pocket and noticed my mother's calling ID.

"Hello, mom?" I asked nervously, while all eyes were on me again.