Chapter 38

"By the way, how was your date?" Matt asked me rather loudly from the first row of the bleachers him and Zac were sat at, watching me shoot hoops.

I shushed him and looked around to see the cheerleaders that had already entered the gymnasium staring at us. I awkwardly smiled at them while Zac nudged Matt, who shrunk down in his seat.

"I know I didn't volunteer to do it, but it felt like the right thing to do. Having Ariana on our side, without actually involving her too much can be of our advantage. Plus she has helped us without asking anything big in return.." I told them, scoring another three pointer.

"Except for a date with you of course." Matt chuckled, Zac joining him as I playfully rolled my eyes at them.

"Yeah, so how did that go?" Zac asked me, watching me jump and score another three pointer.

"Bad. I mean, between her and I it was fine up until the last part where I told her and she didn't believe me.." I began while dribbling the ball and turning around to see my team mates walking in and the rest of the cheerleaders as well.

"But what was even weirder was that when we were at the movies, I ran into your boyfriend Malcolm. Who I'm pretty sure about that he hates me because I'm your sister." I told them and glancing at Matt, who rolled his eyes at the mention of his classmate.

"Then when we got inside and waited for the movie to start, Ariana was being...well...Ariana, by almost too obviously showing her liking towards me which caused me to try and dodge the awkwardness by stuffing my face with popcorn." I told them causing them to chuckle, as I looked over my shoulder to see Ariana, Dinah, Normani and Chloe entering the gymnasium.

"Then what happened?" Zac asked leaning forward interested in the story, while Matt leaned back against the second row of the bleachers, pulling his beanie over his face to try and relax, I was assuming.

"Then.. I bumped into all of the girls.." I spoke with a confused frown, throwing the ball into the basket again.

This caused Matt to pull his beanie off his face and sit back up again.

"Wait, what?" Matt asked with big eyes, both him and Zac looking at me confused.

"They knew I was going there for my date with Ariana, so I had no idea why they were there." I told them still confused, walking towards them as Zac handed me my water bottle.

I shot him a smile and sipped from my drink, looking behind me to see both the cheerleading team and basketball team stretching. The boys and I had already been in here since last period, so I had already done my warmups and stretches.

"Have you talked to any of them since then?" Zac asked me on a lower volume now, as I squatted down in front of them to tie my shoelaces.

"No, and I don't think I want to. Right now, I'm still kinda mad at them. All of them. Including Ariana, for basically calling it crazy if someone would believe any of it." I spoke, frowning at the memory of three days ago.

"Did you show her the marks?" Matt asked confused, pointing at the spot on my arm that was currently covered by a rainbow- striped sweatband.

"I did, she still isn't convinced I guess." I told them, still disappointed at the fact that she didn't believe me.

I stood up straight again and stretched my arms, while Zac glanced at the direction of the cheerleading team and basketball team.

"Well Dinah, Normani, Ariana and Chloe are all looking this way. The first three nervous and Chloe curious." Zac informed me, as I picked the ball up again to dribble it around a bit more.

"Chloe and I are cool. She knows something is going on, but not what and I intend to keep it that way for now. As for the girls, I'm not in the mood the talk to any of them until they explain what the hell they were doing there. And Ariana, I'm just trying to avoid." I explained to them, as I heard coach blow his whistle and call everyone from the basketball team in.

"Chicks are so complicated, man." Matt spoke, shaking his head in disapproval.

"Funny how you say that, but you don't have any ex-girlfriends to support that opinion of yours." I fired back at his somewhat sexist remark, sticking out my tongue in a playful manner.

Matt gasped in disbelief while Zac laughed loudly, high-fiving me before I handed him back my water bottle with a grin. I playfully winked at the both of them before jogging of to where coach was standing.

"That's because you always sweep them off their feet before I can even say my hello!" Matt playfully yelled after me, causing everyone to look at him and for me to turn around once more.

"Maybe instead of whining about it, take notes." I fired back and gave him a wink, resulting in him turning red in the face and for Zac to laugh loudly. He patted his friend's back in a supporting manner, while Matt covered his face with his beanie again.

I chuckled and turned around again, standing in front of coach. As I came to stand in between my team mates, I tried my best of avoiding eyes with Ariana, Normani and Dinah. When I saw Chloe, I quickly smiled at her, receiving one back.

After coach gave us our instructions of today's practice, we were send on our way to complete the exercises given to us.

"Hey, what was that all about with Matt?" I heard Dinah ask with a chuckle, from beside me as we walked towards the other side of the court.

"Nothing." I told her, quickly jogging off to get away from her.

I was still pissed at the girls for doing what they did, unless they came to apologize and explain why they did what they did. Until then, I wasn't going to act like everything was normal.

Matt was kind of right:

Girls are complicated.