Chapter 13: Too tough to cry

We get home from practice with Alec, Max, and James following along to hang out with Liel.

Eli and Leah are on the couch when we enter the house. When they notice we're home, they get off the couch and walk up to me.

"You ready?" I ask quietly and they both nod, holding up their bookbags. I nod and I go back outside and I slide into the passenger seat of Mrs. Wilkins van. In the van sits Mrs. and Mr. Wilkins, Leo, Eli, Leah, and I. Leo wanted to say goodbye to them at The Building and not at the house.

"I hope you know that you are welcome to the house any time," Mrs. Wilkins says and Leah and Eli both nod with small smiles.

Ten minutes later, we are at The Building. Eli and Leah both sigh and they start climbing out of the van. I follow them, helping Leo out as well.

"Are you guys all set?" Mr. Wilkins asks and they both nod. I look down and I turn to Mr. Wilkins.

"Can I go in with them? I need to visit with someone before I leave," I say and Mr. Wilkins nods. "Come on, Leo. Say bye to Eli and Leah."

Leo runs up to Eli and Eli picks him up effortlessly. Leo says some words and tears start rimming Eli's eyes. He sniffles and he coughs, willing the tears to go away.

Eli is too tough to cry. Well... That's what he tells everyone.

Eli places Leo back down and Leo runs over to Leah. Leah crouched down to Leo's level.

"Hey, kid. I'm gonna miss you," she sniffles and my heart clenches.

"I am going too, Hermana," Leo says and I giggle quietly, knowing Leah taught him some Spanish. They hug for a moment and then they part ways. Leo runs up to me with tears in his eyes. I kneel down and I hold his shoulders.

"I'll be back in a bit. Okay, kid?"

"Okay. Don't leave me, Si," Leo says as he looks down to the ground.

"I would never," I promised and I stand up straight. I lead Eli and Leah into The Building and recognition passes over me. The same pungent smell. The same battered down walls and people. The same dirt-covered belongings. The things I was oh so used to.

"Eli, Leah, remember we are still a team okay? Nothing can ever change that. I love you both so much," I say as tears prick the back of my eyes. Eli looks at me and a tear falls from his eye and down his cheek. I quickly pull him into a hug along with Leah. We all silently cry together and we hold each other tightly.

I pull away, wiping my cheeks to get rid of the tears that so kindly stained my cheeks. Eli and Leah do the same and I chuckle.

"We're such softies," I grumble and they both agree with me by nodding their heads. I take a deep breath and then I start looking around, looking for one of the people that made my homeless life easier.

"Danika!" Danika immediately turns from hearing my voice. Once she sees my face, she lights up. She runs over to me and embraces me in a motherly hug.

"How's it going, sweetheart?"

"You know Coach Wilkins? The famous Coach?" I ask and Danika nods, looking confused.

"He's the one that brought me in his home. I am on his track team now. I'm his number one!" Danika smiles proudly at me and she hugs me again.

"I always knew you would go somewhere with your running! I'm so happy for you, dear!"

"Thank you," I say with a big goofy smile. I pull away from Danika and I see her proud, motherly smile. A tear escapes her eye and I wipe it away. It's funny. She would always wipe my tears away. Now I am doing it for her.