CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR ; MURRAY IS NOT A CRACKHEAD

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I know. I told -- I don't know, okay? Open the damn door!"

"Hopper!" Joyce scolded him, causing the man to sigh deeply and shut his eyes to calm himself down. 

"He's a little eccentric, but," he waved his hand, though he didn't seem entirely sure of himself. Whoever this guy was, he was clearly a character, as even the chief was tense. "He's completely harmless."

The door then swung open to reveal a half bald, beard man with a cocked shotgun pointed in their direction. This seemed to wake Stella up a little bit more, since she grabbed Joyce and forced the woman behind her. It seemed to be instinct at this point. 

The man stared straight at Alexei, who held his hands up (which meant one of Stella's was in the air as well). "Name?"

Alexei scowled, before irritably speaking in Russian. Hopper's friend cackled, before responding in the same language. Stella raised her eyebrows and leaned forward a little, squinting as if it would help her understand. The man sent Hopper a close-lipped smile. "Hi, Jim."

★☆

 After a thorough interrogation about who they were and what they were doing in his isolated home, the man who Stella now knew as Murray allowed them to enter. He had whipped out a handmade device once they reached the main room, scanning Alexei with it (which only further annoyed the Russian). 

Joyce had dragged Jim to the side so that they could converse, which meant Stella was left with the two strange men. She stood awkwardly, still feeling lightheaded and tired from the journey. While Alexei was being...examined, she took the opportunity to stare at the strange property from where she stood. It was nicer than the exterior let on; well decorated, filled with quirky necessities that made it feel like a home. Murray cleared his throat after a moment. "What the hell are you looking at?"

Stella took a moment to respond. "Uh, you've got a nice place."

"Thanks," the man grunted, before looking back to Joyce and Hopper. "Excuse me. Do me a favour and move your lovers' quarrel somewhere else."

 "Not a lovers' quarrel, pal," the adults were quick to deny, though Stella couldn't help but smile a little bit, not believing them at all. Thought they'd done nothing but bicker, there was a certain chemistry between them that told her all she needed to know. They truly cared for each other. She knew enough about haters to lovers, she'd been through that herself. 

"Spare me!" Murray yelled, not caring whatsoever for the response he received.

"What is your problem?" Joyce barged forward, knocking Alexei into Stella. She sighed softly and rested her head on his shoulder, not bothering to participate in the conversation.

"Please, stop talking!" Murray snapped, though the Byers mother was having none of it.

"No!" she yelled in retort, leaving everyone taken aback. "We have had a very long day. We have been shot at, nearly blown up, walked God knows how many miles in a hundred degree heat, stolen a car, all while being chased by a gigantic...psychopath, all so we could bring him to you. Because somehow you're the closest person who speaks Russian, which I can't believe.  But that doesn't matter because, unfortunately, we're here. So, if you don't mind, put that thing away, stop behaving like a jackass, and ask him what he's doing that's making my magnets fall off my damn fridge! Please."

Murray didn't seem the type to be left speechless very often. Even Alexei looked smug as they walked past the man, who couldn't seem to find the words to say. 

Stella collapsed on the couch beside the Russian, her head hitting the soft pillow. She exhaled and felt her head aggressively pounding. She glanced over at Murray, who had turned around to face them, still not having said a word. She swallowed once, before speaking to him for the first time. "Do you have a telephone?"

"Nope," the man responded, his eyes still warily on Joyce. "Can't have the government listening in on me. There's a payphone a couple miles away, though. Why?"

Stella's shoulder dropped a little. "Never mind."

"You want to check if Steve's okay," Joyce whispered softly. Stella hesitated, before nodding. "I'm sure he's fine, Stella. Him and the kids."

Stella nodded, forcing back the tears that were threatening to well up in her eyes. She then glanced back at Murray. "Do you have anywhere I could take a nap?"

"Yeah, there's a spare room over there," Murray pointed towards the other end of the room with a blank expression on his face. "Does Smirnoff need a nap too? You two seem close."

Stella rolled her eyes lifted up their conjoined hands. "Very funny."

★☆

a short chapter is better than nothing I guess?? sorry lol

hope you guys are well, my laptop has been crapping out on me for the last couple of months so I haven't been able to write as much as I've wanted to, but here we are!! yeehaw!!

also guys I'm 18 in 4 days I'm so hype oh my goodddiddododododododododdd

hope you enjoyed the short as hell chapter, thank you for reading!!