Chapter 12

I was up in the middle of the night

I was up in the middle of the night. Elvis was playing the piano downstairs. I could hear him working on a song from my bedroom door. It was a song I never heard him sing before. I wondered if he was working on a new album.

I knew in the past he said he never created his own music. Maybe he was wanting to write a song?? But then I hear him. He was singing an older song. By Roy Orbison "Only The Lonely" He must be sad still over his breakup with Ginger.

The poor man never even got a proper goodbye from Ginger. She had broken things off with him by me telling him. And the whole world. Maybe Ginger would come to her senses and return to him. It was clear the man was not going to do well on his own.

I had to be of some comfort to him. I hear thunder booming outside. We were having a rainstorm here in Memphis. I grab a bathrobe. Then slip down the stairs to see how Elvis was doing.

♡♪♬♪♡

"Only the lonely know why, I cry tonight" he was singing as he played so well. My heart aches as I get closer to him. He had no idea someone was watching him sing. He thought he was alone. He stops then hangs his head a moment. I notice the ring Ginger used to wear was sitting on the piano. In a box. I wondered when she came by to bring back the ring, he had given her.

"Elvis?" I say softly.

His head whips up. "Hey sorry I did not wake you, did I? Ginger stopped by and gave me the ring today" he bitterly remarks. "She officially broke up with me" he mutters. "They all leave. I bet you would leave to" he grumbles. "Maybe I won't pay you enough and you will be leaving me to" he mutters as he looks out the window once his back was turned to me.

"Elvis I am not going to leave you. We are friends. We talked about that. I would like to be in your world. I want to be your friend" I say.

"They all want that. They beg me. Elvis please let me in your world. Elvis, I want to get to know you. Elvis you are so wonderful. And I have to know you more. You can trust me I swear Elvis" he grumbles. He slams his fist on the piano. The music plunks loudly in my ears causing me to jump.

"I am sorry Elvis. I am sorry" I stammer.

I did not know what to say. I never had been dumped by a fiancé. "I have always been let down to. I never wanted to let anyone in my world again. And I wanted to focus on me. Protect my heart from ever loving again" I ramble out to him.

"You did? Why?" he asks me curiously.

"Well, my last boyfriend I had he had cheated on me. I was not enough for him. He had to have what ever he wanted. When he wanted it. He only cared about himself. And that was not a healthy relationship" I say. "I also saw my heart needed time to heal. I put love on hold. I know someday I want a home and I want to provide for myself. So, I went about trying to do all that" I say. "I wanted to take care of me. Depend on me. Not a man" I explain.