Chapter 5

Out Of Luck

Out Of Luck.....

I began my job at Graceland that week, but I was bombing out to make that connection with Mr. Presley. He really did not like me at all. He made it abundantly clear that I was only here because Ginger Alden had made a request for me to be here.

And he was not going along with anything I suggested to him. He would though when Ginger was around. Behind closed doors I might as well not be alive. It felt awful. I really admired Elvis. I was a huge fan. Here he hated my guts.

It really was not fair he was taking things out on me. I agreed with Ginger that he needed to get off those pills asap. But only he was going to have to want to do that.

Nor Ginger or I could make him do anything. I check his pulse while he sits in a chair in the Jungle Room. Ginger was at his other side. I feel his eyes on me. His cold uncaring gaze rests on me. I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end.

"How long have you been on the pills Mr. Presley?" I question him.

I take the blood pressure strap off his arm then jot down notes.

"Your blood pressure is a tad on the high mark sir" I warn him.

Ginger looks worried. "Elvis that is not good. Not one little bit" she mutters.

"I know. I am doing all can damn it Ginger" snaps Elvis.

I jot down a list of foods that would help his blood pressure go down. I show him the list. "These are things simple things you can do to make it go down. Just by eating. And it is good for you" I explain. I began to tell him how to track the amount of food he eats. Limit himself when he wanted to indulge.

"I do not have time to keep track of that shit" he laughs.

"Elvis!" Ginger grumbles. "If you do not take this seriously and listen to Miss. McCall the wedding is off! I am not going to sit around and watch you destroy yourself! Do you understand me?" she snaps with anger at him. "The wedding is on hold!" she declares. Then storms out of the room. Leaving us there.