Chapter 29

I wanted to do something special for Elvis

I wanted to do something special for Elvis. He was always doing sweet things for me. But what could I do for him? I could make him a nice dinner. But what if he was busy?

And the dinner would go to waste? I used to be really good at art. I used to draw and paint a lot. I also was into poetry. That was it. I could paint Elvis a self portrait. He had one of himself when he was younger hanging by the stair case there. 

And I could make a romantic dinner for him. For our third of fourth date? I think we were on date four? Or was it five? We had so many new adventures together.

I had to keep track. I go to the art store while Elvis was busy with friends. I by paint and a canvas. Then I get to work outside. I had a photo of Elvis when we were in California. I wanted this painting to be a memory of our first trip together. He would love that. 

I forgot how much I loved to draw. I begin to shape Elvis handsome face on the canvas. Then I prepare and get the paint out that I was going to need. I kept glancing at the picture every so often. I begin to paint. I had a cute little paint smock on it was a light pink one. It was old. I had old paint stains all over it.

Pretty soon I was done. Now all I had to do was let it dry off. I smile. This looked so much like him. I nearly wanted to keep this for myself. His handsome face smiled back. His eyes twinkled at me. I see Elvis's car pull in with Joe and Charlie with him. I did not want him to see this yet.

I grab all my stuff then carry it up to my room. I set the painting up to dry then shut my bedroom door so he would not see the painting I did of him. I take off the smock then put it in the wash pile. I wash my hands up in the sink.

♡♪♬♪♡

"Sandra honey where are you?" calls Elvis from the hall.

"Coming!" I tell him. I head out of my room.

"What are you up to? Did you miss me?" he teases. I hold him close.

"Always!" I giggle.

"What are you up to?" he asks me curiously.

"Nothing why?" I answer.

"Well, you smell like paint fumes. And you were in your old room. Not the new one" he points out.

"I was moving my stuff into our room" I fib. That was another thing I had to get done here.

"That reminds me! I made room for your stuff" he announces. He drags me into his room. He shows me a closet for my clothing and a whole dresser he got ready for me.

"I am so thankful. I love you" I say to him. He hugs me. 

"I love you to. Let's go have lunch. I am starving. I went over some new songs today" he sighs. 

"I was going to plan a special dinner for the two of us. Tomorrow night? Are you free?" I ask him.

"For you? Always am honey" he promises me.

♡♪♬♪♡

We join the others for lunch. Elvis is chatting happily with everyone as I plan a romantic dinner date in my head here. I wanted his favorite foods. But healthy choices.

The best of both worlds. I listen to Elvis talking about his new record he was working on. He loved to share his ideas about music that was going to change the world. 

After lunch I helped the maids clear the table though I did not have to. Elvis was serving his friends drinks in the Jungle Room area. I liked getting to know the help now that I was going to be staying here for a very long time.

They seemed to get along well with me. I overheard one of the maids talking to the other saying how good I was for Elvis compared to Miss Ginger.

After that the phone rings. I answer the phone.

♡♪♬♪♡

"Hello?"

"Is Sandra there? A Sandra McCall?" someone asks.

The voice sounded familiar. But I could not place it.

"Sandra it is me. Matthew" he replies. "from Michigan"

My exboyfriend.

I groan. "What do you want Matthew? We have not talked in ages"

"I saw you on the covers and I could not believe that you were dating Elvis. Remember when I once helped you get that loan for your nursing degree?" he has to remind me. "before you moved off to Tennessee?" 

"Yes, I remember that" I sigh. "I can pay you back now if that is what you are after?" I ask.

"No, I do not want that. I have music. I write and dabble in it. I want you to introduce me to Elvis. Help me get a job with the man" demands Matthew.

"I can't do that" I mutter. "Elvis is my boss" I state.

"More... than your boss. Everyone knows that" he snickers. "help me or I will go to the press about all that I know about nurse McCall" he jokes. I knew he was serious 

I wanted my past to stay in my past.

♡♪♬♪♡

"Fine. Give me time. I will see what I can do. Do not call here again. What is your number? I will be in touch with you" I tell him sternly.

He gives me his phone number.

"Oh Sandra, I will be on my way to Memphis darlin. We will be in touch real soon" he tells me. Then he hangs up on me.

I hated that man. He had helped me but for his own gain. It was never about me. Always about him. And controlling me. That was another reason why I moved away from Michigan.

I feel my hands shake.  Did not want Matthew here to try to con Elvis out of money. To use the man, I loved. Anger builds up inside of me.

I jump feeling Elvis's arm on my shoulder.

"Hey what is wrong?" Elvis asks as he kisses my cheek.

"Nothing!" I lie as a plaster a smile on my face.

"Who was on the phone?" he wonders.

"Wrong number" I lie again.

"Want to go horse back riding? The guys headed out for a bit. I have some free time all for you" he says to me. He kisses me.

"That sounds fun. Let's go outside" I agree. I take Elvis by the hand. Guilt settles inside of me. I should tell Elvis about Matthew trying to blackmail me.

I did not want him to think badly of my past. Maybe Matthew would leave me alone and not head to Memphis anyway.

Maybe he was trying to get a rise out of me. I hoped he stayed there in Michigan. Elvis helps me get a horse ready to ride. Then my problems' fade away for the day.

♡♪♬♪♡♪♬♪♡♪♬♪♡♪♬♪♡

нσρє уσυ αℓℓ єиʝσує∂ тнє cнαρтєя!
           мσяє тσ cσмє!!
           ------∂αℓαιиα

• Please vote!!

• Hit that star ☆!!

• I ♥ comments!!

|Fan|Vote|Comment|Love|Share|Save|