Chapter 39

With a little panic attack I went to the bathroom to wash my face. Still, this was no joke, no dream, no lie. It IS Dís. The dwarrowdam in our living room eating our food is Thorin's sister and the mother of Kili and Fili. I didn't look lively at all even though I am a morning person, if I didn't know better, I could swear, she had come here to talk about my relationship with them.

Nothing could hold me to the earth I walked upon now, as I travelled the paths her brother and sons may have taken on their perilous, and more importantly, their final journey.

When I went back to the living room and sat in front of her, she had said that her mother had announced they had survived the dragon, but a legion of Orcs would be their undoing. The slight of Orcs defiling her lineage would have once burned her, have spurred her into a fit of revenge and bitterness. I could not feel past the voided stasis of my soul, and the slow thump of my heart in my chest.

Dain had been crowned as King in their wake.

It was like a knife stabbing me again, between the layers of my clothes, my ribs, and directly within my heart. It twisted. Her brother or her sons should be sat upon the throne, not some 'cowardly interloper' as she called him. My heart stuttered, and she turned back to face us with a small smile on her face, it didn't matter, we know she was sad, even angry.

"We're so sorry, Lady Dís." My grandmother said, but my cousins and I stayed quiet. "There's no need..." Dís replied. "I wouldn't have expected you to behave any other way, we are family after all." She looked at me with a bright light in her eyes and I gulped.

"But--" I started to protest. "Hush." Dís said. "You could have stayed in your own chambers, rather than tiring yourself by making the journey along with then. Balin has send me letters, telling me how much you loved them, and they did too..." She stopped, clearly unwilling to voice her fears.

"No I--- I wasn't so sure that it was a good idea for me to go--" I replied. "Hush I said, you have done everything you could."

"Don't bother to shut her up, (Y/N) is very stubborn." Gabi added, and Dís chuckled. "Just like the Durin's Folk I see." I blushed a little, but my eyes casted down as I remembered them.

"I came here as soon as I could." Dís exclaimed out, giving us a cold stare. "I had found the book with our lineage in between all the books from my mother, and I didn't think this could be possible, I thought he had died by the Balrog... But now I see that a new Durin lineage was hidden from us all this time." We stayed silent once again as we listened to her sigh. "Now I'll have no choice but to accept helping you." 

She paused and my cousins and I looked at each other in confusion. "Wait, wait, waaaiiiiiiiiit." Gabi giggled sarcasticaly. "What do you mean 'accept helping us'?"

Our grandmother stood up, looking at Dís sternly. "You will come back to Erebor, you have to. You are the heirs of the Throne now. Who of you are the oldest??" Gabi and Ace raised her hands. "But wait I--" Ace started. "I am 21 and Gabi is 26. We don't know absolutely anything from Middle Earth except from what we read..."

"And (Y/N) is 18, she traveled around your world, learned magic and has skill in both arrow and axe. If someone from here should be Queen, then it will be (Y/N)." I whispered a small I hate you to Gabi as she grinned.

We heard glass breaking, and we looked to our grandmother who had dropped a plate by the shock. She is not going to let us go, and has many reasons not to. "Lady Dís... With all my respects towards the lineage, I will not let my grandchildren adventure into that dangerous world again."

"But we ca--!" Acay tried to protest but she didn't let us, Dís stood up and looked at her. "Gandalf told me why you didn't want to accept your lineage, but it is not you who should decide their destiny." Grandma turned to her. "And are you the one to decide? Look at how (Y/N) came back from Middle Earth!" She pointed to my wounds and my state, and Dís almost looked guilty. "She almost died in my arms! I won't let any of them cross that cursed passage!"