Chapter 16 | The Desolation of Smaug

"How close is the pack?" I heard Thorin asking, everyone was so scared of what was going on, but I didn't even care, I only watched as the sun came to light us again. It's been 4 days since we stopped in Carrock, since then we all noticed the princes slipping away from each other, I had my reasons to believe that Thorin knows. I saw their eyes lusting for me, admiring me, wishing me. And I could only hope for a sign or something of what path I should take, I don't want them to fight over me, over something like this.

"Too close. A couple of leagues, no more. But that's not the worst of it." I turn around to stare at Bilbo. "Have the wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked and Bilbo shook his head. "Not yet. But they will do. We have another problem." Gandalf looks at him. "Did they see you? They saw you." Bilbo said no again while shaking his head. "What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse." Everyone laughed.

I roll my eyes and looked at Bilbo. "Shut up, please." I almost raise my voice stopping the dwarves from saying anything more, some of them looked down and Bilbo whispered a thank you to me. "I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there." Everyone suddenly looked around. "What form did it take? Like a bear?" Everyone looks at Gandalf.

"Y-Yes, but bigger! Much bigger!" I smile in delight. "A skin changer?" The company looks at me as I grin and I climb up a rock to look around for the beast, the dwarves start to discuss what we are suppose to do now. "There is a house..." I look behind to stare at Gandalf. "It's not far from here, where we might take refuge."

"Whose house? Are they friend of foe?" Thorin asks. "Neither. He will help us or... He will kill us." No one liked that idea. "What choice do we have?" No one replied, soon we hear a roar from a beast.

"None."

"(Y/N)! Come down!" Fili shouted at me, I slip off the rock and Kili grabs me and we start running away from the beast.

The sun was already on the skies, shining over us as we ran through the vast fields and woods, we soon hear another roar from the beast, it was a lot closer than last time. "This way! Quickly! Run!" We ran fast than ever and we see house in the distance. "To the house! Run!"

Bombur ran a lot faster than anyone else, if we weren't in danger I would have laughed, but I have to admit it was fun to watch

We ran inside the gardens of the small house and the dwarves started pushing the door so we could get in. I looked behind me to see the skin changer charging towards us. I wasn't going to die like this! "Open the door!!" I screamed out as Gandalf said that and I let out a rash of wind to open the door, everyone getting inside quickly and closing it behind us, the beast stopped the dwarves from closing it, Bilbo was ready to kill it but I was sadden by it. "I'm sorry!" I shout out to the skin changer as I used my fire magic on his face, making him retreat and letting the dwarves close the giant door.

Everyone huffed in relief and Ori looked at me. "I am so happy... That we have a witch..." Some of the dwarves agreed and thanked me with a small whisper. "That is our host." We turned to look at Gandalf. "I thought skin changers could control their animal instincts." I panted out and the wizard looked at me while grining. "Not all of them. His name is Beorn. Sometimes he's a huge black bear. Sometimes he's a great strong man. The bear is unpredictable, but the man can be reasoned with... However, he's not very overfond of dwarves."